• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melting Soft Rind Cheese

LuckyGirl

I feel like this is a pretty basic question and I apologize if it has been asked and answered before but I didn't come up with anything when I did a post search.

If I am melting a soft cheese like brie or camembert in a bechamel sauce, will the rind fully melt or do I need to peel it and only use the center of the cheese?

TIA!

I make an appetizer that consists of sauteed diced mushrooms topped with a little piece of brie and then baked just until the brie melts, and in my experience the rind doesn't melt -- I always take care to just get the inside of the cheese.

Thanks to you both.

So, the gist is that the rind will not melt which I suppose I should have figured based on the fact that when one lets soft rind cheeses go to room temp or say, bakes brie, the rind doesn't melt.

I like the idea of tossing the rind into the white sauce so that all the cheese can melt off and then pulling the out the ring, JYoungJoo. It seems like there would be far less waste doing that vs. trying to cut away the rind.

I like soft cheese rind in general but I suppose it depends what you're doing with the bechamel.

It must be difficult if not impossible to liquefy a chalky white skin from a Camembert or Brie, but something like a ripe Oka skin will melt. I've microwaved a whole wheel, poured out the contents and made a chiffonade of the skin. Just make sure there's no wax, foil or paper in the mix because one time I . . . :smile:

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I eat the rind too but for melting the cheese into a white sauce for pasta and cheese I don't want the rind ya' know?

Ya, that makes sense. I was remembering a moussaka with soft cheesy bechamel and rind bits that were very nice - a bit like noodles. You could probably skip the microwave.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack