• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Wine Scene in Boston

Michael M

I have a few possible transfers in the works and one of them is Boston. I'm currently in Chicago which doesn't really have a great wine scene - some restaurants have great lists, but wine isn't in really in the community consciousness. What's Boston like in your opinion?

Perhaps the silence speaks, eh?

I'd give the folks at Brix a call and ask them what they think. It's a great shop and they'd have a sense of the wine scene for sure. You might also call some of the tried-and-true restaurants (I'd start with No. 9 Park) and talk to the sommeliers there.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I guess I should be more specific. The city has a few aggressive wine programs, and not neccesarily with the food to match. There are ,according to my friend a wine purveyor, some very good places in the surrounding burbs that offer interesting options with food to match.

Edited by Timh (log)

Campania in Waltham, Tomasso's in Southborough, Alta Strada in Wellesley, as well as Via Matta in the city. Butcher Shop for unusual finds.

This is subjective though. I happen to like the food at these places also.

Edited by Timh (log)