• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Short Notice Ressie Needed In T-Dot This Weekend

rubyred

Hey Toronto eGers!

My cousin just had a baby (yay!) so I'm headed down the 401 this weekend.

I'd like to get a reservation at a great place, but I know it's short notice! Something upscale, but more casual would be perfect. Is it too late for a place like Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

-Ruby From Montreal

I think it should be pretty easy to get a res at JKWB for the weekend, unless you have a huge group. I don't personally have recs in that genre but I believe Lee, Cava, and Kultura would be in that category.

JKWB doesn't take reservations (OK they sometimes take them for opening time only).

The others mentioned all do - and all of these are 'small-plate' sharing - and all cost more than JKWB. And all are noisy (relatively).

There's great buzz on Nota Bene (same team as Splendido but more downscale) - but I haven't been yet. Also haven't tried Madeline's (in the old Susur place, next door to Lee) which is supposedly a little more upscale than Lee.

The Kultura team have also opened Nyood - which I have tried and is pretty good. The 'young & beautiful' people seem to have moved to Nyood, so it's super-busy at weekends. Sort of a combination bar and 'small plates' experience (also very noisy). And I still like Kultura too (which is now a little quieter).

As for reservations, Open Table seems to be expanding its Toronto reach - so check that.

As a visitor, I'd still probably choose Splendido - it's simply the best - or possibly Chiado as there's nothing comparable in North America (Portuguese) - but both are "not cheap"!

Otherwise I'd attempt Nota Bene - to check it out - or probably Kultura (of those mentioned). Kultura is 'quieter' than Nyood - but share a chef, who is mostly at Nyood - so if you're more in a party mood try Nyood.

admittedly I haven't tried personally, but supposedly JKWB started taking reservations when they closed the Restaurant and opened that side up as part of the Wine Bar. Maybe Nondoc can confirm.

admittedly I haven't tried personally, but supposedly JKWB started taking reservations when they closed the Restaurant and opened that side up as part of the Wine Bar.  Maybe Nondoc can confirm.

They only take reservations for the 'opening time' based on reports I've received - but I haven't tried personally.