• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quarry Tiles in Montreal

So, ever since my pizza stone broke a month ago, I've been searching for these mythical 'unglazed quarry tiles' that people have extolled the virtues as a baking surface.

I've looked EVERYWHERE in montreal,

At least three Ronas, Home depot, Million Carpt & Tiles, Olympia, and 8 million others.

The person at the Rona brossard said he thought he had some. Million had them, but only in tiny 6x6 pieces. A place in outremont could order them for me, at 15$ a piece!!

Most people, though, looked back at me with blank stares.

If anyone knows where to find these, I will be eternally grateful!

I am now using the backside of a very large cast iron pan with good results.

Some people also use pieces of granite bought from people selling granite counters.

Let us know if you find a good and cheap tile.

*THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH*

In a moment of weakness a few years ago, I briefly became a Pampered Chef rep. I quickly realized what a nightmare becoming a pariah to friends and family would be and quickly withdrew. The rep who I signed with worked the system and I got to keep all of the demo gear(!)

The moral of the story? I have a pizza stone that I'm very happy with. Surely not as cheap as a tile, but if you know such a pariah, you can do them a solid and keep them in the money!

Not much of a moral, I know, but there rarely is when it comes to cooking and baking! Oh, except for 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's cake; Thou shalt simply ask for the recipe', of course!

Have you tried pottery stores for kiln shelves?  More expensive than quarry tiles, but usually cheaper than a pizza stone.

Before I met my spouse, she bought her Pizza stone at Wal*Mart for 10.00CAD. It came with a rack to rest the stone on after removing it from the oven and a pizza cutter.