• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dipping sauce for soft serve

mroybal

My bosses want me to make a chocolate dipping sauce for our soft serve ice cream a la fosters freeze. I have tried varius recipes with different amonts of chocolate(different fat percentages also), cream, and corn syrup. All to no avail, the sauce is either to thick, or if it is thin enough it breaks when it is on the ice cream. I questioned a kid at fosters freeze, and he showed me the can of stuff the call chocolate and the first ingrdient was coconut oil, then chocolate, then soy lecithen. does anybody have any ideas or experience with this.

Thank You

I suppose buying some from the kid at Fosters Freeze is cheating.

Here's a link I found searching for Dairy Queen Chocolate Dip

Magic Shell

That's my food blog- its a great magic shell recipe: really easy and very rewarding.

Plus- you can get fancy with it and add other flavors too.

flavor floozy

I suppose buying some from the kid at Fosters Freeze is cheating.

Here's a link I found searching for Dairy Queen Chocolate Dip

Magic Shell

That's my food blog- its a great magic shell recipe: really easy and very rewarding.

Plus- you can get fancy with it and add other flavors too.

So thats an awesome recipe to have in the box. Haute Klondike Bars, anybody?

After mixing chocolate up for a chocolate fountain - I realised the same mixture would work to create shell chocolate ... very simply I added plain vegetable oil (or grapeseed oil or other very plan flavoured oil) to chocolate, this keeps it fluid at low temperatures, but sets on the icecream nicely.

Was thinking it might be my chirstmas gift this year - made with very good chocolate it would outdo anything sold in supermarkets!!

This thread has inspired me to try making magic shell for my significant other's birthday dinner. He asked for vanilla ice cream, and I think this will be a really nice surprise to go with it (he loves DQ dipped cones).

I have run into a problem, though. I can't find refined coconut oil anywhere in my small-ish town (and I really do think I have looked everywhere). However, I have obtained some unrefined coconut oil.

So, I think I am going to use the 80/20 mix mentioned on McAuliflower's blog, but use 80% grapeseed oil (per the suggestion by LucyInAust) and 20% unrefined coconut oil. The chocolate I am planning to use is Green & Black's dark chocolate bar with whole cherries.

I really want to make a nice dessert - does anyone see anything about this combo that might be a bad idea??

Thanks!

This thread has inspired me to try making magic shell for my significant other's birthday dinner. He asked for vanilla ice cream, and I think this will be a really nice surprise to go with it (he loves DQ dipped cones).

I have run into a problem, though. I can't find refined coconut oil anywhere in my small-ish town (and I really do think I have looked everywhere). However, I have obtained some unrefined coconut oil.

So, I think I am going to use the 80/20 mix mentioned on McAuliflower's blog, but use 80% grapeseed oil (per the suggestion by LucyInAust) and 20% unrefined coconut oil.  The chocolate I am planning to use is Green & Black's dark chocolate bar with whole cherries.

I really want to make a nice dessert - does anyone see anything about this combo that might be a bad idea??

Thanks!

Sounds great to me. when I used the coconut oil I got a nice hard shell, I also tried a batch using vegetable oil, and it also worked only it did not harden up as much.

Thank you everybody for the help. I'll let you know what my Boss says.

My boss likes the product, and now he wants to start doing a large promotion behind our soft serve. I guess he read the article in the New York Times and thinks we can capitalize on the trend early. They have another restaurant that already is.