• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Cooler Cookies

gfron1

I just did a google search for recipes, and a lot of them seem to use unsweetened Kool-aid lemonade powder for the coating--with powdered sugar--I'm feeling strangely interested in seeing what this tastes like--i'm guessing it's citric acid--so it might taste pretty good.

I made the Martha recipe (or one very similar) several years ago and they were VERY good. The recipe is forgiving, because I am NOT a baker and they turned out well! I need to make them again.

Ahh, but if you buy citric acid from your favorite purveyor, you can get the same result without actually stooping to kool-aid.

https://www.shopchefrubber.com/product.php?...21&cat=0&page=1

Hopefully. Might take some experimentation getting the sugar ratio right, citric acid really does not taste good straight. :wacko:

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I saw that as well - big turnoff for me.  I can't imagine serving kool-aid to my customers.  I think I'll be looking at Martha's recipe unless I hear elsewise.  Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure if you are running a biz you want things to be best quality, but i just get a kick out of using odd and/or plebian ingredients in food for the general heck of it.

How will you manage the kumquat in the cookies? It would seem to be pretty hard to zest a kumquat--maybe dry them and grind em up?

Ahh, but if you buy citric acid from your favorite purveyor, you can get the same result without actually stooping to kool-aid.

https://www.shopchefrubber.com/product.php?...21&cat=0&page=1

Hopefully.  Might take some experimentation getting the sugar ratio right, citric acid really does not taste good straight.  :wacko:

I have some citric acid, actually, so I'll compare the taste with the lemonade Koolaid when I get some and report back.

Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

Adapt Ling's lime cookies. I did them as sour orange and it worked well.

Kumquat - I assume you have a supply for taste comparisons during development?

Sour orange is 'faked' with orange juice and lime. But much better - you can buy it in bottles (Goya), if you dont have a sour orange tree.

I have no idea what kumquat zest tastes like!

I used to keep a bottle of ascorbic acid in the kitchen to enhance lemon bars. Shouldnt be too hard to find food-grade vitamin c.

Good luck, have fun, and please have a tasting of your first full scale batch. Might even be worth a trip out to you (if gas prices drop a bit). :)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.