• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Destination Cooking Schools in the World

I am for the inside scoop on the best destination vacation cooking schools in the world. I know Umberto's villa in Tuscany is amazing, but does anyone else have any other favorites elsewhere in the world?

Napa, Asia Pacific, France, Canada, etc.?

I am looking for places that have onsite luxury accommodation, hands-on cooking classes, local market and winey tours, etc.

Your guidance is appreciated!

Cheers,

Eric

FYI - the reason for my post is that I am thinking of opening a Villa Based cooking school in the Okanagan Valley (BC's Wine Region) next spring and I want to visit a couple of other schools this fall and winter to see what they are doing. A Google search has revealed very little in terms of what I am looking for.

I have no relationship with Umberto's Villa mentioned.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Eric

I read that issue before a recent trip to Thailand and, upon my return, am convinced that many of us around here would find a lot of destination cooking schools far too touristy. That's sure what it seemed in Chiang Mai, which is overrun with flyers, signs, posters, and hawkers trying to drive you to one school or another. As I just mentioned here, I think that picking up good cooking tips in Thailand (and maybe elsewhere) may be as simple as demonstrating respectful interest and going with what you find. Had I been willing, I could have spent a few hours at several restaurants throughout the city -- and fed well in the process!

Of course, that means I give up the pad thai served in a tropical garden with mood music piped in to soothe me and the other farang, but I can live with those sorts of depravation.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

[...] I am thinking of opening a Villa Based cooking school in the Okanagan Valley (BC's Wine Region) next spring and I want to visit a couple of other schools this fall and winter to see what they are doing. 

I really enjoyed the Santa Fe School of Cooking in Santa Fe, NM. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it has many good ideas (culinary tours, etc) and has become quite popular.

http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/index.html