• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sad News from SuzySushi

Chris Amirault

I just received this sad news from member SuzySushi:

This past Wednesday, my husband Michael died unexpectedly of cardiac arrest, just 12 hours after being diagnosed with (and treated for) pneumonia. It was a great shock to all of us. For many years,  his health was just fair, with Type 1 diabetes and congestive heart failure, but just the day before we'd been out to an intellectually stimulating Mensa lunch, followed by shopping and meeting our son for coffee at the mall -- all activities Michael enjoyed tremendously. During the night he suddenly began having trouble breathing and was rushed to the hospital.

Although he was not a member of the eGullet Society, Michael was intensely interested in food. Many of you got to know him through my eGullet Foodblog, A Tropical Christmas in Hawaii and my other posts.

Michael was 67. Besides me, he leaves his loving son Daniel and daughter Wendy in Hawaii, and his son Marc in California. He is being cryonically preserved at Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Arizona. A memorial service will be held in Hawaii at a date to be determined.

"I'll meet you at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe." (Reference to Douglas Adams' The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

We hope you'll join us in sending your personal condolences to her via PM or email.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts