• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Duck Fat in Quantity in Chicago

I'm bumping this because I want to know too. Help, buddies?

They sell duck fat at Fox & Obel but at the prices they charge I wouldn't want to buy it in any "quantity"! I've purchased it when I was making duck confit and didn't have quite enough reserved frozen duck fat to cover. I'd love to hear of a cheaper source.

Kate

I'm bumping this because I want to know too. Help, buddies?

They sell duck fat at Fox & Obel but at the prices they charge I wouldn't want to buy it in any "quantity"! I've purchased it when I was making duck confit and didn't have quite enough reserved frozen duck fat to cover. I'd love to hear of a cheaper source.

Kate

If you can afford a trip to Ottawa, Canada and don't have a problem lying to Customs officials, the Glebe Meat Market on Bank Street sells duck fat at (as I remember -- the prices may have gone up) a laughable price compared to Fox & Obel. But that's there, and we're talking here, dagnabbit!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Purchase a fresh whole duck. Skin the duck. Debone the duck. The breasts can be cooked and served rare, the other parts can be used to make rillettes, cassoulet or whatever and the carcass a sauce. Use a large pan and slowly render the skin. You will end up with your duck fat and crunchies that can be used in a salad or dipped in Crystal for a great snack. That's what I do with my ducks.-Dick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Dick Budrichard has the right ides.

D'Artagnan sells duck fat for about $8 per pound.

You can buy a whole duck for about $10 that will supply close to a pound of duck fat. In other words, the duck costs about $2, that is a bargain.

Tim

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, PekinParadise

At $4.50 a pound, delivered, I expect you'll get plenty of orders.

Thanks for the info!

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Given your helpful participation here, I will try to use your site and product next time I am buying duck fat.

A question for you - what is your recommended shelf life in a refrigerator? Do you also recommend freezing for future use?

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Hi Folks,

Rendered Duck Fat should have a Water Activity below 0.85. Water that is not bound to food can support the growth of microorganisms that spoil food. You should search for articles on Water Activity (aw) for more scienticic information. Our scientist tests each batch and confirms a Water Activity Level below 0.85.

I have a few clients that have based their business around Duck Fat. One gent started with 12 gallon-size tubs for his deep fryer back in October of 2010. He has never actually replaced those original 12 gallons. Instead, he strains the remaining fat once a week and simply adds more....usually a gallon per week, depending on his menu.

I keep our newly processed fat in the freezer. At home, I keep in the refrigerator and it has not gone bad after 2 months. We always re-use fat that was in our deep fryer. I just strain and put it back in the frig. (I always label what was cooked in the fat, because it will retain flavors. I don't want my duck ravioli tasting like fish.) Watch your smoke point..keep the temp below 375.

My wife featured duck fat in our May 2011 newsletter. There are some good nutritional facts in that publication.

So in conclusion, freeze for long term storage and refrigerate for occasional use. If you use the fat everyday in a fryer, strain once a week and simply replenish the original supply.

Gotta go....its harvest time at the farm.

Walt B.

Pekin Paradise

http://www.pekinparadise.com