• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olga's Diner

ChrisOC

I just heard that Olga's Diner on the Marlton Circle was closed by the State for back taxes. :shock:

When I lived in PA, Olga's was one of my favorite stops on the way to the shore. They always seemed very busy, but I haven't been there since we moved to OC a few years ago.

Has anyone heard any details?

Edited by ChrisOC (log)

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

and I'm wondering how they could let the tax thing go so long.

They would be neither the first, nor the last restaurateurs to blow off payroll and/or state taxes. It's a pretty common occurrence, since it's self-policed until they catch up with you. Kind of like individual taxes. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For many it is an easy trap to fall into. No bad intentions, but the money is withdrawn from employees' payroll and then has to be paid approximately one to three months later. Sort of a free loan. When cash flow is an issue, and it often is for restaurants and other small businesses, that money gets spent to cover essential operating costs. Then, come the 15th of the month following the end of the quarter, it is all gone and no cash to pay the payroll. So the owner either holds off paying suppliers when he should to pay the taxes or he doesn't pay the taxes because he has to keep his business open.

That is why for the past few years I have used a payroll service that withholds the money every week at the time they write the pay checks. I don't have access to the withheld funds, so there is no temptation to use the tax money for expenses. In my various businesses I had never missed a withholding tax payment, but there were times when it was a major struggle to make it. I hate that the payroll service earns interest on the withholdings rather than me, but it makes life for a small businessman much less stressful during periods when cash is otherwise very tight.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I drive past Olga's twice every day. It never looks busy anymore, like it did years ago.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

that might be because it's closed  :raz:

Ok...before it closed, it didn't look busy like it once was. :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister lives on the border of Marlton and Cherry Hill, and we used to go to Olga's when we visited.

She's lived there for close to 15 years, and Olga's is just not as good a diner now as it was when she first moved there.

It's a shame, as it's such a great location.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 4 weeks later...

If I use 73 to go to or from work, I always pass Olga's. Yesterday I could not help but notice HUGE signs almost all the way out in the road, screaming, "WE ARE OPEN!" Yes, it's a shame, but even last time I went inside, which was a few years ago, it just wasn't any good. Such a location, and I think that the Marlton Diner must've taken all their customers when they started to go downhill. I wish something good and profitable would happen for Olga's before there's nothing left but the sign.

If I use 73 to go to or from work, I always pass Olga's. Yesterday I could not help but notice HUGE signs almost all the way out in the road, screaming, "WE ARE OPEN!" Yes, it's a shame, but even last time I went inside, which was a few years ago, it just wasn't any good. Such a location, and I think that the Marlton Diner must've taken all their customers when they started to go downhill. I wish something good and profitable would happen for Olga's before there's nothing left but the sign.

The Sage, too. It seems to be packed all the time.

John

• 5 months later...

I drove by Olga's yesterday and they are still closed. I googled and discovered they are closed for good, now.

Here's a link to an article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...ga_s_Diner.html

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I'm not surprised by this at all. Assuming that the article is accurate, it takes some pretty bad business decision making skills to refuse to try and work out deferred payments with the utility company. Even if business is down, theoretically you aren't using as much gas to cook with (if they turn the burners off when not in use, unbelievably not a common practice in many restaurants), perhaps you could close earlier, send some hourly kitchen staff home early to save payroll, etc. Doesn't sound like any of that was happening. If it's clear that the next generation doesn't want anything to do with the family business, it was time to hunt for a buyer, not just throw your hands up and say it's all so unfair or bitch that the road construction is going to ruin you (even though it hasn't started yet and it will effect ALL of the businesses along that stretch of road). Not for nothing, but there has to be dozen of diners and therefore diner owners in a 30 minute radius of there. Perhaps one of them might have been interested in purchasing an already outfitted diner at a major crossroads for a second (or third or fourth) location?? Why wouldn't you at least try to see if they were? :shrug: Obviously, I don't know the specifics here, but you'd think the article would have mentioned if the embittered owner was trying to sell or at least cutting back to stay in business... :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol