• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lao Sze Chuan

DutchMuse

I did a search but didn't find a thread specifically on this celebrated local restaurant.  (If I missed it, you can direct me to it). Can folks recommend some "not to miss" dishes to get here?

Thanks!

DutchMuse, it's coincidental that this past week I met Tony Hu and completed my tour of his triptych of restaurants.

Hu is Szechuan and Lao Szechuan is arguably the most authentic and best of his three regionally-focused restaurants (although I just had a pretty spectacular meal at Lao Shanghai, which I hope to write about as soon as I clear through some others that have been waiting in the wings for far too long).

Ma po tofu is a Szechuan standard that I would encourage you to try at Lao Szechuan.

p.s. jesteinf, lamb with cumin is more accurately Beijing, if I'm not mistaken. But, as you probably know, with 150+ items on each of his restaurants, there's a good overlap.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

s. jesteinf, lamb with cumin is more accurately Beijing, if I'm not mistaken.  But, as you probably know, with 150+ items on each of his restaurants, there's a good overlap.

That wasn't my rec, but I'm pretty sure lamb with cumin is on the menu at Lao Sze Chuan.

Ooops! I stand corrected.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

That wasn't my rec, but I'm pretty sure lamb with cumin is on the menu at Lao Sze Chuan.

That was my rec. They've always had it, as far as I know. You can also get good versions at Mapo in Naperville and at Ed's Potsticker House.

Mapo Restaurant

1563 Naperville Wheaton Road, Naperville

630/420-1388

www.maporestaurant.com

Ed's Potsticker House

3139 S. Halsted St., Chicago

312/326-6898

LAZ