• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reviving dried-out ham

scottie

I have a bunch of old speck and prosciutto in the fridge. It's all dried out and covered in salt crystals. I know it will never return to its former suppleness, but does anyone think I can revive this stuff somehow? Or use it for anything beyond seasoning soups and beans? It was so dang expensive, I hate to throw it out.

The prosciutto ... wipe off the excess salt, cut into thin rectangles and cure in the fridge in straight white wine for about a week, then dry in a slow oven. Those are the best bacon bits. :wink:

When I find that in my fridge, it's tomato sauce time. Some dried out old cured meat, simmered for about a half hour in a can or two of crushed tomatoes, some herbs, however you make a quick sauce. Or, I use it as a flavoring component in bolognese. Adds a very rich, very lovely meatiness, and the long simmer brings it back.