• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine refrigerators for fruit, butter storage

JAZ

Having lived in San Francisco for many years, I got used to having a kitchen that stayed relatively cool pretty much all year long. I left butter out (in a butter bell) and kept all my citrus fruit, and tomatoes out as well. Now that I live in Atlanta, that's okay in the winter, but doesn't cut it in the summer. I don't like refrigerated tomatoes, and find that citrus doesn't juice as well when it's cold, but I also don't like having fruit rot before I can get to it and I'm not crazy about melted butter.

So I'm thinking that maybe a small inexpensive wine fridge might be the way to go. I'd like to keep it around 65 degrees, and I know that's in the range of wine fridges. But I have some questions about them:

First, they all seem to have racks for bottles, which makes sense for a wine fridge, but do any of them have removable racks? If so, can I replace the bottle racks with flat racks, or will I be able to place a flat rack on top of the bottle racks?

Second, are they loud? Do they suck up a lot of energy?

Third, they seem to range from around $100 up to $600 or even more (I'm looking for something pretty small -- maybe sized for 6-12 bottles). What features should I look for, given what I'm going to use it for? I don't need dual zones, so I assume that will cut down on the cost. Anything else I need to know?

Haha- I didn't realize you were so seriously considering this...

I can't be of all that much help, except to say that the ones I've experienced don't seem all that loud. However, I guess it can be a different story when it's in your own kitchen.

Good luck!

Edited because 'cosidering' is not a word. At least not that I'm aware of.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

I use a small, 28-bottle sized wine cellar to store cigars in. It uses thermoelectric cooling, so there is no vibration or noise, because there is no condenser or compressor to vibrate or motor to cycle on and off. Mine stays right at 65F and with a humidification device inside, it stays at 65-67% humidity, both great for my cigars.

I suppose you could do the same, without the humidification unit, for the purposes you suggest.

Mine is an Urbina Design unit, but another popular brand is Vinotemp. Vinotemps have been on sale recently at Target stores for about $140.

Both brands have removable metal shelves that can be replaced with other shelves or I suppose even plastic baskets. Vinotemp makes a model that has wooden shelves. I replaced my metal shelves with ones I made from Spanish Cedar.

Good luck!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

In a word, YES.

I have a small wine cooler in my pantry in which I store hard cheeses at 55-60 degrees and where I keep the butter for regular use (butter bought in bulk usually stored in freezer).

I also find it is ideal for placing things that need to be defrosted over a period of several hours - faster than in the regular fridge and no problem of it being on a counter (where the dogs can get at it).

Other things - yogurt and kefir that is "working" after the initial warmer process.

Soft cheeses that need to "ripen" prior to serving.

Some pastries that stale rapidly in the regular fridge but keep much better in the wine fridge.

I have this one.

I personally cannot drink alcohol, however I do have friends who do so there are always a couple of bottles of various wines that are supposed to be served chilled in there, along with some exotic beers tucked in by another friend. Old Peculiar Yorkshire Ale, for instance. :blink:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I bought a 6-bottle size from Sharper Image; it had both wavy racks and flat racks included. It was rather noisy, turning on very frequently with a loud fan-like hum. It did not last very long -- maybe 18 months total, and some of that time turned off -- before it expired. I do not plan to replace it.

I bought a dorm fridge to store my water and soda because I found there isnt enough room in my kitchen fridge.

Its similar to this one, but its made by Chefmate. When I first got it, the manual said turn the dial to 7 then down to 4. Its still really cold. I imagine if I turned it all the way down to 1, it would act more like a wine fridge. Its still big enough for me to store extra butter and other condiments.

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, I can buy the Cuisinart wine refrigerator for a really good price -- either the 6 or 11 bottle model. Anyone have any experience with this?

I too live in the South and have been considering this option.

I cannot believe with all the high fallutin refrigerators that are out there, they do not have a compartment that is programmable to keep fruit and vegies, etc....

I believe I have seen online a Japanese refrigerator (it may have been Toshiba) which has several compartments (a couple of extra drawers, between top and bottom sxns) which can be changed to various settings.

I also am astounded that the manufacturers of these wine fridges are not catering to these other users/uses.

Wouldn't it be great to have a half height fridge with baskets just for fruit & vegies & such. I even have to succumb and refrigerate some nice loaves of breads if they hang around more than a day.

I'm sure these new temp controlled fridges for cooks are just around the corner.... wait a year or two and they may finally figure it out.

In a word, YES.

I have a small wine cooler in my pantry in which I store hard cheeses at 55-60 degrees and where ...

I have this one.

...Peculiar Yorkshire Ale, for instance.  :blink:

andiesenji- I have seen this one at my favorite appliance store. May I ask how long you have had it?

I always feared I would end up like baroness and it would break down before a year is up.

In a word, YES.

I have a small wine cooler in my pantry in which I store hard cheeses at 55-60 degrees and where ...

I have this one.

...Peculiar Yorkshire Ale, for instance.  :blink:

andiesenji- I have seen this one at my favorite appliance store. May I ask how long you have had it?

I always feared I would end up like baroness and it would break down before a year is up.

I bought it in late 2005 and it is slightly different than the one available now. I think the newer one looks nicer as mine has a stainless steel frame on the door which gathers fingerprints easily and requires some effort to polish.

I also sprung for the three year extended warranty, something I usually do not do, because I have found that if something is going to go wrong, it will be within that period. After that I figure I will just replace it with a newer model. The fact that the Avanti is rated for commercial use is what prompted my decision to buy it instead of another unit that was a bit less money.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, I can buy the Cuisinart wine refrigerator for a really good price -- either the 6 or 11 bottle model.

I went ahead and bought the 11-bottle model. It fits on the counter right that divides the kitchen from the living room, and I think it's going to work great. It comes (of course) with racks designed to hold wine bottles, but they're removable, so I'm hoping to find a flat rack that can fit onto the holders. On the other hand, I think I'll keep the top rack for wine -- I mostly drink reds, and it'll be nice to have a cool place to store a bottle or two.

• 1 year later...

Chris, it's been working great. I never did replace the top rack -- just took out the lower one so my fruit bowl fits underneath. The one housekeeping item is that since a wine fridge has no moisture control, I have to mop up water from the bottom of the fridge every few days. Not a big deal for me, but it is something to think about.

... The one housekeeping item is that since a wine fridge has no moisture control, I have to mop up water from the bottom of the fridge every few days. ...

I have the impression that "wine fridges" tend to be more expensive than "ordinary" fridges.

Perhaps the Marketing Depts study their wine-drinking market and price accordingly!

Perhaps there is a different reason for 'mini' fridges being at least as expensive as standard-size ones. Over here, the mass-market sweet spot for new units appears to be a 600 mm wide under-counter unit.

But second-hand fridges can be even cheaper ...

As long as you don't mind an extra wire going in at the fridge door (for a temperature probe), the practical and economical means of getting a "cool not cold" fridge is to add an economical external temperature controller to a very ordinary fridge.

You'd plug such a controller between the fridge's plug and the wall socket. No fridge modification whatsoever is required.

The controller effectively turns the fridge on and off at the wall to maintain your set temperature.

Of course, a "proper, ordinary" fridge wouldn't have condensation issues ...

The only practical downside to an external controller like this is that the fridge light can ONLY work when the compressor is actually running (and the door is simultaneously open) - so not every time you open the door! When/if you go back to using the fridge without the external controller, the light would function as normal. Not a deal-breaker for me, but maybe worth pointing out!

These controllers are sold for all sorts of markets - but you are unlikely to find them listed as kitchenalia!

Here's a US example being sold to the home brewers for 'kegerator' control http://cgi.ebay.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermostat-Controller-/270472701959?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef96de807

And here's a UK one sold for aquarium control (but widely used elsewhere) http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5_27_17&products_id=47

When shopping for such a controller, one important feature worth watching for is a hold-off delay on the cooler action. Fridges (or rather their compressors) don't like being started again very soon after they have been stopped. A minimum delay (of something like 3 minutes) before restart is kind to the mechanism. Decent controllers will make provision for just that type of delay. However, while my (bought originally for SV) PID controller (an N2006P) does have a cooling control capability, it doesn't have any delay facility and its maximum cycle time is only 199 seconds -- so I really don't think it is at all suitable for fridge control.

An ordinary fridge plus an external controller seems to me to be the economical, effective and versatile approach to a "cool cupboard". Not least because its an additional ordinary fridge whenever you might need it!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Chris, it's been working great. I never did replace the top rack -- just took out the lower one so my fruit bowl fits underneath. The one housekeeping item is that since a wine fridge has no moisture control, I have to mop up water from the bottom of the fridge every few days. Not a big deal for me, but it is something to think about.

I've had the same problem but solved it with a plastic grid - intended for use in a sink and under it one of the "super towels" that absorb enormous amounts of liquid. I switch the towel out twice a week and toss the soaked one in the washer.

It is amazing how much those towels will absorb - if left for two weeks (while I was away on a trip) one grew some mold but a spritz with my always-on-hand bleach and water mix took care of that and I left it out on the deck railing till it dried before putting it in the washer.

Presently there is a whole wheel of caerphilly taking up most of one shelf, a shallow basket filled with tomatoes from the garden on another shelf and a large deeper basket filled with squash, eggplant, cucumbers and peppers in the bottom.

I never put tomatoes in the regular fridge but they keep beautifully in this one and there is less chance of fruit fly infestation.

Some of the newer small "upscale" fridges have digital controls that allow for a wider and more accurate range of temps.

like this one

that goes up to 50 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is set at 55 degrees F., and the thermometer that is in the approximate center, shows 57 degrees right now. I have opened and closed it several times in the past couple of hours as I have picked a lot of produce from my garden and having to rearrange the stuff that was already in there to make sufficient room.

Had to move the wheel of cheese to the bottom.

Japanese refrigerator (it may have been Toshiba) which has several compartments (a couple of extra drawers, between top and bottom sxns) which can be changed to various settings.

We had one...I think it was a Toshiba Glacio...our current refrigeator does not have this feature and I miss it incredibly!

On the one hand, a "partial-freeze" deep chill section is really useful for meat (keeps meat so much longer and in better condition, especially in hot weather), and on the other hand, a "barely cool" section is very useful for pickles and cheeses.