• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hokkien Noodles

kermie

Am desperately missing real hokkien noodles and was wondering if anyone has a good recipe and how to from scratch. I live in Amsterdam at the moment and it is very hard to find certain authentic ingredients/products. Also what is your favourite way of preparing them? Personally I am looking forward to a good Singaporean mee goreng (I have always assumed those were hokkien noodles but am starting to doubt myself - so if they are something else, then those are the noodles I'd like to make from scratch - the really yellow chewyish ones if memory serves). mmmmm. I ate this mee goreng every day, practically, when I lived in Singapore and you never think to ask how to make it when you're there as they are everywhere. so sad - please help.

Thanks

ps this should have gone in the general Asia section but.....

Edited by kermie (log)

I'd heartily recommend the recipe for Mee Goreng Tauceo in "Cradle of Flavor" by the wonderful and wonderfully knowledgeable James Oseland. Do you have this cookbook? If not, here's the recipe:

1 pound (455 g) precooked fresh Chinese egg noodles (rinsed, drained, cut in half), or uncooked Chinese egg noodles, or fresh fettuccine (cooked, drained, tossed with a bit of peanut oil)

10 stalks choy sum or 5 whole small baby bok choy

4 Tbsp peanut oil

2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

2 Tbsp sweet soybean paste

7 ounces (200 g) medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)

1 1/2 cups (115 g) mung bean sprouts

4 Tbsp warm water

2 tsp double-black soy sauce

1/4 tsp kosher salt

Freshly ground pepper

Clean and dry veggies, cut as desired. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat until it shimmers, and then add the garlic and sweet soybean paste. Stir constantly until garlic is no longer raw but not browning. Toss in shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink. Add the greens and raise the heat to high. Stir-fry until the greens begin to wilt, then toss in the sprouts, cook another 15 seconds, reduce heat slightly, and toss in the noodles, detangling them as you add them. Toss everything together, add the rest of the ingredients (except the pepper), and cook while stirring until the noodles have soaked up all the liquid. Adjust the seasoning and sprinkle with black pepper.

www.carolynjphillips.blogspot.com