• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coren excoriates subs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey

Quite funny, and I've been there myself with the subs, but on this occasion I can't help wondering whether Alan's lad's rant may be based on a false premise. The missing 'a' wasn't a bad sub decision but an unfortunate typo? It was a very feeble joke that got spoiled, but he's right to say it was spoiled.

I would have thought in this PC age such abuse of colleagues would normally have got him sacked. His roots via his father are probably embedded too deep though. Anyway subs are a lower class of writer and no editor is going to lose a columnist just to satisfy a sub's wounded pride, even if the Sunday Times seems to have more restaurant critics than seems strictly necessary for one paper that comes out on one day.If the boy had been racist, (I don't think the Irish comment will count) or sexist it would have been a different matter perhaps.

What I would really like to know is who released an internal email to the public? And why?

S

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been reading Giles latest article about Jamie's Italian in Oxford. He spends most of the article talking about the anonymity of restaurant critics; takes time to continue to berate Feargus O'Sullivan (although doesn't name him - http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mediamonkey/20...od_fight.html); and then explains how he had to ring the restaurant PR company to book a table for his large party thus blowing his anonymity. In his words "and was, simply, buggered if I was going to queue down George Street in the height of summer, jostled and barged by fat Americans looking for Tower Bridge, and possibly not get fed."

The best bit is his comment on Fergus: "Oops. Carefully reading the menu is really all you have to do in this job. And yet he failed to do it. And thus failed to test the restaurant’s wares properly, and founded his whole article on a misconception"

I wonder if Fergus will now return the complement and let Giles know that large parties are able to book tables - you don't need to break cover, simple do some reasearch. As the restaurants website clearly states "If you are a party of between 8 and 10, please give us a call beforehand and we'll do our best to reserve you a table. As we aim to ensure all our customers have a fantastic time, we are only be able to fit in a certain number of larger parties each lunchtime or evening.."

i think anyone who has actually read anything giles has written would understand that he is an amusing, talented writer who would have succeeded no matter what

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man