• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need A Restaurant Recommendation For August Trip

Hey everyone! First-time poster, longtime reader...

So I'm going to Vegas in August for vacation and need a dinner recommendation. I just found out via eatinglv.com that DJT is closing/closed (I am absolutely devastated. This seriously is going to ruin my weekend) and I now have an opening in my schedule.

I have a few guidelines:

1) I've been to many of the great (and not so great) restaurants and would like to try something new. Restaurants I've been to (Alex, JR@Mansion, L'Atelier, Savoy, Boulud, SW, Okada, Red 8, Bouchon, B&B/Enoteca, Delmonico, Olives, Mina, Mesa, Boa, Roka, Nobhill, Seablue, Burger Bar, Stripsteak, Border Grill, Nobu, N9ne, LoS)

2) I'm already scheduled to go to Bartalotta, Cut, Restaurant Charlie, Bar Charlie, and Wing Lei for dinner, Sensi, BLTBurger, Payard, Tableau, Spago, and Morel's for Breakfast/Lunch and Sushi Samba, Social House, and Raku for late-night

3) I want to stay on the strip. I'm not renting a car so Rosemary's, Setebello, Memphis BBQ are off my list (I am making an exception to get to Raku)

What I'm looking for is something memorable and exceptional. I would prefer fine dining but excellent food trumps the need for fine dining.

From what I can tell my options for new places are Ogden, Louis Fish Camp/Cafe Louis, Carnevino, Prime, Brand, and Craftsteak.

None of these particularly excite me, especially since four are steakhouses and I expect to have more than my share of red meat as is. I heard Bryan Ogden departed several months ago from Ogden's so I'm unsure of how the food is now.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can provide. If nothing really peaks my interest I'll probably end up back at Savoy, Alex, or Boulud.

In any case, I'll try and take photos, and if nothing else, post a report. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Hoshe, welcome to eGullet!

I'll be in Las Vegas in Aug. as well, on the weekend of the Olympic Games.

As for DJT, you think you're devastated!!!??? I just want to cry, but I refuse to act like SpongeBob. In the meantime, I'm trying to get some more information about DJT's closing. Perhaps, there can be one last dinner, one last hurrah. We'll see ...

Rosemary's is worth the drive, if you combine that with some other activity elsewhere during the day, like Settebello for lunch, after a tour of Hoover Dam in the morning.

Louis's Fish Camp is really good. I haven't tried Louis's yet.

I heard the seafood restaurant called "rm" (Rick Moonen) over at Mandalay Bay is good. I need to try that place.

Prime is definitely fine dining, and it's more than just steaks. This is a Jean-Georges Vongerichten restaurant.

Enjoy Las Vegas, Hoshe! If we meet, I'm the Chinese-looking man with glasses eating my way through the Strip ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Thanks for the info rjwong.

I just wanted to throw a couple more names in the mix. Anyone have any thoughts on Picasso, Aureole, or Fleur de Lys? I haven't heard much about them, save Picasso's Michelin rating, in the last couple of years and I sort of assume they're dialing it in.

I'm also considering giving Okada another go. I haven't been since Takashi left for the Second City. Any new, positive news about there?

How about Charlie Trotter's new place at the Palazzo?

dee-dee-dee -- didn't notice it was already reserved. Bother.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

How about Charlie Trotter's new place at the Palazzo?

ScoopKW, excellent thought. I'm already booked for a meal at the main restaurant and a second at Bar Charlie (the Sashimi bar). Those were two of the first reservations I booked for my vacation.

Based on your list of "done thats:"

Il Mulino (Caesar's Forum Shops)

Hofbrauhaus (Kitty-corner from the Hard Rock)

Andre's (Monte Carlo)

Hamada (Flamingo near the strip)

And if you're here on a Sunday -- Bally's Sterling Brunch. (Yeah, I know I sound like a cheerleader for Sterling Brunch, but it really is "all that."

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks for the info rjwong.

I just wanted to throw a couple more names in the mix.  Anyone have any thoughts on Picasso, Aureole, or Fleur de Lys?  I haven't heard much about them, save Picasso's Michelin rating,  in the last couple of years and I sort of assume they're dialing it in.

I'm also considering giving Okada another go.  I haven't been since Takashi left for the Second City.  Any new, positive news about there?

I went to Picasso a few years ago (I guess 4 years ago now). I thought it was great. Beautiful room. It's certainly more traditional fine dining in that regard as opposed to places that make it a little bit more modern.

I will add that I am sad to hear DJT has closed. Didn't it just open? Isn't it the only restaurant in the Trump hotel? IIRC, the chef from there is a member here and has posted a bit about the place.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Anyone have any thoughts on Picasso, Aureole, or Fleur de Lys?

We had a thoroughly uninspiring meal at Fleur de Lys the year before last. I would like to like this place, since we usually stay at theHotel at Mandalay and it's always nice to have a good place to eat downstairs, but this was one of those meals that leaves you with very little hope that things might improve with a return visit.