• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Milton Keynes/ north Bucks?

Over to the learned masses.. :unsure:

I am looking for decent restaurants, pubs and places to eat in Milton Keynes. And preferably not the 'chains'.

To put things in perspective, I am a chef, working in SE Milton Keynes and though I enjoy eating at our restaurant, it doesn't allow me the same level of relaxation as eating elsewhere: I suppose you're always going to notice things as a diner in your own place and the other half isn't charmed with the 'distracted look' :rolleyes: .

I have taken my other half to several of the places in and around the area (on my rare days off), however I'm still looking for a spot to call 'my local':

Paris House in Woburn was lovely. The setting, food (albeit massive portions, cooked perfectly) etc was worth the trip. And probably the only restaurant to date, that I'd happily return to.

The Swan, Salford; The Black Horse, Woburn; The Wavendon Arms; Taipan; Woburn Zens and a few 'country pubs' have all been tried.

I have a copy of the local guides and do make use of them.

A few that have been recommended to me (I have yet to eat there):

The Crooked Billet, Newton Longville

The Knife and Cleaver, Bedford

St Helena, Bedford

As Milton Keynes is easy(ish) to navigate around - Have Tom-Tom, can drive - somewhere within a 15/ 20mile radius of Aspley Guise would be great.

A good place for breakfast; a decent pub for Sunday dinner and a good restaurant (food and service) is my culinary quest.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Grant

Morning people should be forced to milk cows!

The Plough Wavendon is where I work

Grant,

Just beyond Aylesbury is Long Crendon where we had a good meal at The Angel, although I will admit this was a few years back. I also like the sound of La Chouette in Dinton run by a Belgian chap (HP17 8UW). Granted this is a tad further than the 15/20 mile limit you specified, but it may be worth it.

If you are going as far as Long Crendon- then you may as well try The Charles Napier at Chinnor or the pub at Christmas Common. The name escapes me, but it was always rammed and I am sure that Duncan and Judy B, whose stomping ground this is, can help.

A bit closer to home and just down the M1 is the rather nice little town of Harpenden, where we nearly moved to. I think that Novelli chap has a pub nearby- but that is by no means a recommendation!

Cheers

Edited by Bapi (log)

If you are going as far as Long Crendon- then you may as well try The Charles Napier at Chinnor or the pub at Christmas Common. The name escapes me, but it was always rammed and I am sure that Duncan and Judy B, whose stomping ground this is, can help.

Fox and Hounds? We haven't actually been there, but this page suggests it has just changed hands:

The landlords have changed again ( July 08) and the pretentious menu has gone, a sandwich menu suitable for hikes and cyclists is back on offer. And they actually make you feel welcome if you show up on foot.

Cheers Bapi, Duncan and Olicollet

La Chouette : Sounds promising. I've heard some good reviews and will put that on the radar.

The Charles Napier : Only ever hear good things about the place. Tried to book a couple of years back and was given the brush off by reception on the off chance they might have a table available a couple of weeks ahead. Will try this again..

Taipan, was ok. Nothing to write home about.

Bapi,

Novelli has opened another pub about 10miles away. Might go there sometime.. after I discover some others that tickle my fancy.

Thanks again

Grant

"A bit closer to home and just down the M1 is the rather nice little town of Harpenden, where we nearly moved to. I think that Novelli chap has a pub nearby- but that is by no means a recommendation!"

I have eaten at the Novelli pub (the White Horse) and was not deeply impressed. Nothing exactly wrong with it, but it certainly wasn't particularly good value for money, and definitely trading on the name. His second is in Steppingley, which is in Bedfordshire, between jns 12 and 13 of the M1 - the French Horn. Used to be a very nice place, haven't been since he had it.

Much better in Harpenden (in my view) is the Bean Tree, a little further into the town centre - especially in the summer as it has a lovely courtyard in the shade of said tree: www.thebeantree.com

Or if you want a pub, slightly out of the town centre (but happily for me 5 mins from my house) is the Amble Inn: www.ambleinn.co.uk On a Thursday when they do tapas they get very busy. It isn't exactly what you'd get in Spain, I admit, but tasty and good value.

(sorry can't seem to get these to work as hyperlinks)

But going back to your original request, I ate at the Crooked Billet in Newton Longueville a couple of weeks ago and would recommend it - have faith, it is on the edge of a very ordinary housing estate and so looks unlikely. But food and wine both interesting - I've only had lunch there though.

Enjoy!

Helen

Cheers Helen

Harpenden is a little out of the way, though I'm not against a good drive for decent food.

The Crooked Billet is on the list of places to visit, as is the Kings Head in Ivinghoe.

Thanks again

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

The quest continues..

Crooked Billet , Newton Longville last week:

Ok. By no means a great meal/ service, but I suppose it is somewhere to go and relax over a glass of wine. Average at best.

It didn't live up to the hype, so slightly disappointed in that regard.

The Kings Head, Ivinghoe this week:

Better than last week's meal by a distance. Though the drive there was a little further too.

The huge fire place in the bar would lend itself to a revisit in winter for a post-dinner drink.

Didn't have their 'signature' Aylesbury duck carved on the gueridon, but it looked ok. Starters were ok; mains were slightly better and cheese followed by dessert was average. Good ambience and attentive service.

Would return again.

Decent breakfast place anyone?

Thanks again in advance

Grant

• 1 month later...

The Swan-inn in Middleton, Milton Keynes for lunch was rather enjoyable for a Sunday.

Slightly modernised, with a lovely facade - the pub is in the original Milton Keynes village, I'm told.

Unassuming, good pub food, 'Antipodean-influenced service' and general smiles all round.

Apparently part of a small chain of pubs, though still a quick journey from home to a half decent meal.

Eaten at Blue Orchid, Aspley Guise - Thai - for one of the rare day's off. Chain as well, and average Thai food on the doorstep.

Still after the elusive breakfast.. :rolleyes:

Any places worthwhile to visit?