• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails with two spirits

JAZ

I just came across this version of the Golden Dawn, which would also be at home on the equal parts topic:

3/4 oz Laird's Bonded

3/4 oz Plymouth gin

3/4 oz triple sec

3/4 oz apricot brandy

3/4 oz orange juice

I'm not sure about this one -- seems awfully sweet-sounding. Anyone game to try it?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Too sweet is right. I screwed around with that for a while and came up with a Maize Morning:

3/4 oz apple brandy

3/4 oz gin

1/2 oz Apry

1/2 oz Cointreau

1/2 oz lemon

dash of orange or grapefruit bitters

Shake, strain, and dribble a few drops of grenadine at the drink's base (sunrise effect, don't you know).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 3 years later...

I am glad I found this thread. I made a Country Life No. 2 (Sam Ross, via Bartender's Choice) a couple of weeks ago and could not figure out what category to include it under. The original Country Life calls for bourbon, Jamaican rum, port, Angostura bitters. Sam Ross' version subs sweet vermouth for the port (bourbon, Jamaican rum, sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters). The proportions are too different to categorize it as a Manhattan variation.

7259333776_d41e9a3f69_z.jpg

Each component can be tasted (my husband was able to guess easily what all the components were), but the cocktail still is harmonious as a whole.

• 11 months later...

Ah, shii...

Mannings are bastards....

Anywho... being that I am all Tiki at the moment, I made this with Brice (Yeah, Brice is like my bartending boyfriend, but most relationships end in one or both parties drinking themselves into stupidity so we're just cutting to the chase)

I found that it was basiclly too sour and not boozy enough, even at these specs, so I played around and settled on

25ml Tanqueray 86Proof... I'd prefer 94, But it's not standard issue in England.

25ml Louis de Lauriston Calvados VSOP 84Proof

20ml Plantation Overproof 146Proof

20ml Pineapple

20ml Orange

20ml Lime

15ml Falernum

10ml Passionfruit Syrup - Monin

10ml Simple 1:1

3 Dashes Boker's Bitters

Seriously, using an ounce of each rum is a waste when you can taste neither....
Imperialists can assume 20ml is one ounce and reduce from there.

Edited by Adam George (log)

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

It's a riff on the similar Omar Bradley, named for another military Bradley. Seemed apt. Though I've probably doomed my chances of having a job in government intelligence.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'd forgotten about this drink. I just made one with Weller 12 and Angostura rather than Peychaud's (what was I thinking with the Peychaud's?) and I'm enjoying it. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Adam, that drink sounds dangerous. I'm having trouble imagining the Tanq playing well with the Plantation OP.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'd forgotten about this drink. I just made one with Weller 12 and Angostura rather than Peychaud's (what was I thinking with the Peychaud's?) and I'm enjoying it. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Adam, that drink sounds dangerous. I'm having trouble imagining the Tanq playing well with the Plantation OP.

Cheers! *clink*

I tried this again today, this time using Angostura and more lime than yesterday. Also more dilution. I admit that the one I did before tasted a bit soapy, and I thought it could use more water. This time it was really great. Thanks for a nice new drink Rafa.

I tried this again today, this time using Angostura and more lime than yesterday. Also more dilution. I admit that the one I did before tasted a bit soapy, and I thought it could use more water. This time it was really great. Thanks for a nice new drink Rafa.

You really care about this trial, huh. :smile:

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

You really care about this trial, huh. :smile:

I sat in the same chair, drank from the same glass and put back on my clothes from yesterday to control the variables.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we've had a rye + rum combo in this thread yet?

My husband is not amused by my experiments with Cynar so I keep going back to Manhattan variations for him. Here are the Pals of Old with rye, rum, sweet vermouth, bitters. The original recipe calls for Abbott bitters which I don't have (I know, I know...). I used Boker's and was very pleased with the result. With the Bulleit rye and Appleton 12 year rum combo, this was like a great Manhattan variation with a little more spice and a nice depth.

1 oz rye

1 oz rum

1 oz sweet vermouth

1 dash bitters

I also added a brandied griotte cherry

9081953246_147a2f105b_z.jpg

• 3 months later...