• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sirloin Oscar

Sugarella

So, I had this dish, which I love, again last night. Unfortunately this time it was in a crappy overpriced chain restaurant, so I highly doubt the version I got last night was the authentic one. (I'm pretty sure *handful of garlic powder* shouldn't be part of it. :angry: )

Over the years I've had it with bernaise sauce, with hollandaise, either wrapped in bacon or not, sometimes with crab, sometimes with no crab, sometimes with scallops and shrimp.... always with asparagus.

Is there a definitive version of this dish? Does anyone know where it originated?

To me, "Oscar" means something with crab and asparagus. A standard sauce to accompany this would be hollandaise. Hence, a sirloin oscar would be a form of sirloin steak with crab and asparagus, most likely served with hollandaise.

I use garlic in most of my dishes; however, I do not use it to make hollandaise. Quite often I will use jumbo lump crab mixed with a concoction of sauteed bell peeper, celery and onion (the Trinity in the Cajun world). I add garlic to the Trinity. I let it cool before folding-in the crab.

I know of no standard "Ocsar" recipe. I just know what I like and make it.

Shame on you for visiting a "crappy overpriced chain restaurant". Make your own and enjoy it.

M.

Edited by Motochef (log)

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

To me, "Oscar" means something with crab and asparagus.  A standard sauce to accompany this would be hollandaise.

Thanks.... I'll see if I can do it myself.... the crab version always is much better, IMO.

As for the garlic, I love garlic, just not loads of garlic powder. This morning at work people asked me if I had garlic for breakfast. :blush:

Shame on you for visiting a "crappy overpriced chain restaurant".

Sometimes we have no choice when it's family.... :smile:

According to my classic french culinary school education :rolleyes: , the classic is crab and asparagus with bernaise...because bernaise is the classical accompaniment to a grilled item, whereas hollandaise is for poached items, like salmon and eggs and whatnot.

I say that as long as there is seafood and asparagus and sauce, I'd be more than happy to eat it!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

The dish is actually swedish in origin - or at least composed to honour the swedish king Oscar II (1829 - 1907). The meat should be filét of veal and the garnishes should be bearnaise, aspargus and lobster claw meat.

The idea is to arrange the garnishes so they form a the royal monogram: an "O" of bearnaise, a roman II from aspargus across the O. No idea where the lobster goes.

According to Swedish wikipedia, the dish was invented at Grand Hotel in Stockholm and the original garnishes was Sauce Choron (bearnaise with tomato), white aspargus, lobster claw meat and black truffles, but the article doesn't give any sources.