• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wedding cake baking

Mirandar

Hello!

I have been asked to bake a wedding cake, and I want to get a book or two to have around as a security blanket! I would like it to be really helpful in the ways of fondant, buttercreams, decorations etc and maybe even contain some structural suggestions. What's the best of the best book that i should buy? I'm sure you guys know!!

thanks a lot!

Hello!

I have been asked to bake a wedding cake, and I want to get a book or two to have around as a security blanket! I would like it to be really helpful in the ways of fondant, buttercreams, decorations etc and maybe even contain some structural suggestions. What's the best of the best book that i should buy? I'm sure you guys know!!

thanks a lot!

You can go through Colette's Cakes: The Art of Cake Decorating by Colette Peters .

I haven't read it my self but have heard of it from lots of people . You can go and search Amazon from some really good wedding cake books .

Good luck :smile:

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs

The Cake Bible is a good resource as well for recipes (buttercream, cake and fondant). There are other books that deal with decoration and not so much recipes. You might want to check the library before deciding which book to buy - there are a lot of them on the market.

And, you might want to do a few small test cakes before the big day. Do some 9" and 6" practice cakes to get the feel for it.

The Cake Bible is a good resource as well for recipes (buttercream, cake and fondant).  There are other books that deal with decoration and not so much recipes.  You might want to check the library before deciding which book to buy - there are a lot of them on the market.

And, you might want to do a few small test cakes before the big day.  Do some 9" and 6" practice cakes to get the feel for it.

I second The Cake Bible. Beranbaum includes conversions for many of her recipes into wedding-sized cakes. Her books are super-precise and have ingredient measurements by weight as well.

Edited by apronless (log)