• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Chicago

pbandy

Hello folks, this is my first post of hopefully many here. First, I am junior at the University of Tennessee studying Journalism and hope to move on to culinary school after graduating. Anyways, on to the topic at hand:

I will be taking a weekend vacation with my mom, step dad, and step brother to Chicago. My step-dad insists that we eat at the Metropolitan Club one night. I was hoping you all (y'all!) could offer some opinions on the overall dining experience there so I know what I am walking into.

The other night is my night to choose dinner. I was hoping for some suggestions on a nice fine dining spot. My step-dad and brother both have open minds with regards to food, however my mother is a little bit more reserved. On a recent trip to NYC we enjoyed dinner at both Babbo and Craft, I enjoyed the more adventurous menu at Babbo, however I feel that the rest of the family preferred the more reserved, yet equally delicious, menu at Craft. I was hoping for something of a combination of these two restaurants in terms of philosophy, granted they are different cuisines. In a nut shell, I want to have a memorable meal with my family that everyone has a chance to enjoy.

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to be a part of this community :)

Coincidentally, I ate at Craft a few months ago and thought it was superb in every way - spectacular contemporary American food, exquisite contemporary decor, reasonably spacious, not overly loud, delightful service. I think the closest equivalent in Chicago is one sixtyblue, which is my favorite restaurant in the entire city. HIGHLY recommended.

I have never heard of Babbo, other than the name as a place that people in New York seem to be familiar with. What is it, cheap Italian food?

A few other suggestions...

If you want a true local specialty, get authentic Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, such as the double-crust "stuffed" pizza at Giordano's, or the single-crust "pan" pizza at Lou Malnati's or Gino's East. You can call ahead with your order to avoid waiting 30-45 minutes while seated for your pizza to bake. And the portion sizes on the menu are accurate; a large pizza will indeed leave four people absolutely stuffed. Go there for lunch if you like.

Two places offer unique atmosphere with excellent food:

North Pond is in the middle of Lincoln Park (the park itself, not just the surrounding neighborhood). It faces its namesake pond with the city skyline towering over the opposite shore. The renovated building was formerly the warming shelter for skaters on the pond. The cuisine is contemporary American from James Beard-nominated Chef Bruce Sherman.

Everest is one of the finest restaurants in Chicago. They serve excellent French/Alsatian food, have a huge wine list (best collection of Alsatian wines in the country, I'm told), etc. They are located at the top of the Midwest Stock Exchange building and the dining room has a terrific view of the entire city. If price is an issue, consider going for their pre-theater special, three courses for $50, 5:00/5:30 every night they're open except Fridays.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

What sort of price range are you looking at? If money isn't an issue, then you have a wealth of options, from Charlie Trotter's to Alinea. On a more modest (but still upwards of $100/person), there's Blackbird, one sixtyblue, L20, North Pond...

Check out lthforum.com, as well--it's a Chicago food board.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

Okay, sounds like mid-priced Italian food with a contemporary accent. Is that closer?

As a recommendation to someone coming from New York, I would suggest NOT looking for Italian food in Chicago. It's not that we don't have it, we do - including mid-priced places like Cafe Spiaggia, Coco Pazzo, A Mano, Pane Caldo, etc., as well as Spiaggia itself, which is one of the very best restaurants in Chicago (and priced accordingly). But when you're coming from a city where there are Italian places of all sorts, you really ought to try restaurants that are different from, and in some ways better than, you can find at home, rather than trying to replicate the foods you're accustomed to.

The post above mentioned pricing, which is usually a consideration. If price is no object, then I agree with the recommendation of Alinea, which is one of the best restaurants in the country. Think of Per Se as New York's counterpart to Alinea. But not everyone wants to pay $250-400 per person for dinner, which is what Alinea (or Trotter's) will run you. Incidentally, one sixtyblue and North Pond generally run around $100 per person inclusive for three courses with tax/tip and moderate wine/alcohol. The above-mentioned L2O is significantly more expensive and closer to Alinea/Trotter's in pricing, with a 4-course prix fixe for $110 and a 12-course tasting menu for $165, without wine/alcohol or tax/tip.

Also, the natural assumption is that you're staying somewhere in the downtown areas, but if not, let us know, as there are plenty of worthwhile places in the suburbs and in outlying city neighborhoods that may be more convenient for your stay.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

If you're in the mood for adventurous fare but at a lower price point (still not cheap), see if you can get through to Schwa, as well. But good luck getting a reservation...

Nsxtacy--I didn't mean to be flip, but Babbo is a pretty famous place, and one of Mario Batali's best-known restaurants.

[Edited to remedy the fact that my "o" key is not working very well...]

Edited by conor610 (log)

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

Nsxtacy--I didn't mean to be flip, but Babbo is a pretty famous place, and one of Mario Batali's best-known restaurants.

:angry:

People in New York City tend to think that "everyone who matters" knows (and cares about) what is going on there, from restaurants to sports teams etc. It's just not true.

I can only guess that Babbo is about as well-known in Chicago as, say, Avec is in New York. In other words - NOT. Maybe some people here on eGullet are familiar with it, but they are probably people who spend/spent a lot of time in New York and/or are in the food industry.

I visit New York occasionally, and let my dining companions decide where to go. It's sheer coincidence that Craft is the site of my only New York meal in 2008.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Babbo is definitely well known outside of NYC.  Pick up the book "Heat" for additional context.

Maybe. Maybe you're just more educated than I am. :wink: (That's a private joke; Josh and I have the same degree from the same school.)

I still think that someone from New York would be well advised to look for something other than an Italian restaurant while visiting Chicago. (But if you insist, see my recommendations above.)

For one meal, based on the question as originally posed, I still think either one sixtyblue or North Pond is perfect, with a slight edge to one sixtyblue for its food and to North Pond for its setting.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Thank you, nsxtasy, for the input. I will look into your suggestions. With regards to Babbo, I wasn't necessarily meaning Italian food, but the philosophy which they employ when creating dishes. They venture away from the typical and use more obscure cuts and other ingredients. Alinea is definitely out of the price range.

We will be staying downtown. Any input on the Metropolitan Club? My step-dad is a business-man and I'm hoping that this place won't be a stuffy gathering place for old men in suits discussing the days stock market changes :/

Shawn McClain's Custom House is the place I've brought food friends and family recently, after they've dined the previous night at Trotter's, Alinea, Schwa Gibson's or Moto.

While they keep me rapt in their descriptions of last night's dinner , they are doing big time cooing at the food at Custom House. The typical thank you note reads: "We were enthralled with the food at (Restuarant X) but our dinner at Custom House was the best."

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Nsxctacy--I'm from Chicago, too. Never been to Babbo. Never lived in NYC, or even been there for a significant amount of time. Definitely not in the industry. But I don't think I'm alone in my familiarity with some of Batali's restaurants. And I definitely think more people are familiar with Babbo than with Avec, despite Grieverson's recent Best New Chef write-up...

Anyway, this thread is not about whether we know of New York restaurants, but about whether we have recs for Chicago. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Hopleaf, in Andersonville on the north side. It's primarily a beer bar, but their food, from Stilton mac and cheese to sandwiches to interesting entrees, is uniformly fantastic as well. And they have arguably the best beer selection in the city.

Thank you, nsxtasy, for the input.  I will look into your suggestions.  With regards to Babbo, I wasn't necessarily meaning Italian food, but the philosophy which they employ when creating dishes.  They venture away from the typical and use more obscure cuts and other ingredients.  Alinea is definitely out of the price range.

We will be staying downtown.  Any input on the Metropolitan Club? My step-dad is a business-man and I'm hoping that this place won't be a stuffy gathering place for old men in suits discussing the days stock market changes :/

You may want to give Blackbird a shot (especially if you're a fan of pork belly and other pork related products).

Blackbird

619 W Randolph St

(312) 715-0708

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

The Metropolitan Club is the one in the Sears Tower. I haven't been there. I've been to several of the other private clubs downtown and your description fits them to a T. However, since you are visiting, and presumably you want to stay on good terms with your family, I would go there, just because it's your step-dad's choice. Let him choose the place for one meal, and you choose the place for the other one.

I ate dinner at Custom House for my birthday a few months ago. I really loved my appetizer and main course, but was disappointed in the desserts. Others I dined with were less impressed with their starters and mains. Not that it was bad, but no one was raving, the way my dining companions have consistently done at one sixtyblue and North Pond. It's a very nice restaurant, though, and it's convenient to the Loop.

Blackbird has some pluses but also some minuses. The food is certainly delicious and comparable in quality with one sixtyblue and North Pond, which is high praise indeed. They also may have a bit more in the way of "organ meats" but you may also find those at one sixtyblue and North Pond, all of which rotate their menus. There are a couple of downsides about Blackbird which you should be aware of. One is that it's very noisy, and the other is that the tables are spaced very close together, so there is very little privacy. Many of the tables are in one long row along the east wall of the restaurant, and I've felt as though I were sharing conversations with those close by. I'm sure there are places in New York City where you've felt this way. one sixtyblue is quite the opposite, a lot like Craft, where you never even notice that there are other people dining around you, thanks to the layout as well as more generous spacing between tables, and it's not as noisy either. You can enjoy your conversation with one sixtyblue, whereas it can be a hardship at Blackbird. Some people like a place that seems louder and more crammed together, so if you think that's what your family would enjoy, then this might not be a big deal for you. By comparison, North Pond is not quite as spacious, but there is still a greater sense of privacy than at Blackbird, and it's not as loud, either. North Pond has two rooms. The smaller room has floor-to-ceiling windows looking out on the pond, with a great view. Last time I ate there, I dined in the slightly larger inside room, with an open kitchen along one wall (which, like the open kitchen at one sixtyblue, was not particularly noisy) and I enjoyed the atmosphere and didn't feel slighted that we didn't have the skyline view.

You should check out the menus on the websites of all these restaurants to see what's typical; you'll find a lot of creativity, and they are led by some of our best local chefs (Martial Noguier of one sixtyblue, Bruce Sherman of North Pond, Paul Kahan of Blackbird, and Shawn McClain of Custom House).

By the way, to orient you, the Loop is Chicago's traditional downtown commercial center, and it and its surrounding neighborhoods are full of great restaurants. It is also the center of the city's street numbering system and of its public transportation system. North Pond is three miles north of the center of the Loop, and cabs are readily accessible and the most practical means of transportation for a group of four. one sixtyblue is about 1.5 miles west of the Loop, and Blackbird is 3/4 mile west of the Loop. Custom House is half a mile south of the Loop's center.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Thank you guys for your input. I think I have narrowed it down to North Pond, one sixtyblue, and maybe Blackbird. One sixtyblue is probably at the top of the list right now..

Now, for another question: what are some Chicago street foods that we absolutely cannot miss? How about a fun place to have a good lunch while we are out and about? Also, anything that we shouldn't miss while we are in town? We will be going to a day game and Wrigley so that will take up most of our time on Saturday.

The Metropolitan is in the Sears Tower - it is a Business Club.

Go for the meal and the view. Why not? My brother many years ago use to be the Exec. Chef at the University Club.Chgo. The clubs have high standards, it will be a corporate setting tho.

Tacos, hotdogs, Polish, Italian Beefs, pizza, asian? Just ask you will get lots of suggestions, keep in mind most of these local places are in neighborhoods not within the downtown area. If you want downtown let us know.

Having eaten at one sixtyblue, North Pond, and Blackbird, I have to recommend Blackbird over the other two. The other two were very, very good, no doubt, but Blackbird was more creative and, in fact, more delicious. Mike Sheerin (chef de cuisine) is doing some great things. But add Naha to your list, as well. It's in the same league as these three.

Seriously, for street food recs, you should definitely check out lthforum.com.

Thank you guys for your input.  I think I have narrowed it down to North Pond, one sixtyblue, and maybe Blackbird.  One sixtyblue is probably at the top of the list right now..

Now, for another question: what are some Chicago street foods that we absolutely cannot miss? How about a fun place to have a good lunch while we are out and about?  Also, anything that we shouldn't miss while we are in town? We will be going to a day game and Wrigley so that will take up most of our time on Saturday.

To help narrow down our suggestions, what does "out and about" mean? Friday or Sunday? Do you have any plans to be at a particular place (e.g., Art Institute) or in a particular area?

If your weekend is the one of August 8-10, you could join the eGullet Heartland Gathering's tour of Maxwell Street Market.

By the way, the food at Wrigley is execrable. I suggest getting to the area very early and eating lunch elsewhere. I'm sure that other recommendations are forthcoming, but two reasonable choices are Tuscany (northern Italian), adjacent to the ballpark, and Giordano's (stuffed pizza), about a half-mile away.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

How about a fun place to have a good lunch while we are out and about?

Of course, this depends on where you are. I think Chicago-style deep-dish pizza is the one "do not miss" local specialty, although there are others (e.g. Italian beef sandwiches). As previously noted, it takes 30-45 minutes for a deep-dish pizza to bake, so consider calling ahead with your pizza order to avoid waiting for it to bake while you're seated.

By the way, the food at Wrigley is execrable. I suggest getting to the area very early and eating lunch elsewhere. I'm sure that other recommendations are forthcoming, but two reasonable choices are Tuscany (northern Italian), about a half-mile away, and Giordano's (stuffed pizza), adjacent to Wrigley.

I think Giordano's is a great choice. Not exactly adjacent, but walkable; the nearest location is on Belmont, half a mile south of the ballpark. 1040 W Belmont Ave, (773) 327-1200.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

How about a fun place to have a good lunch while we are out and about?

Of course, this depends on where you are. I think Chicago-style deep-dish pizza is the one "do not miss" local specialty, although there are others (e.g. Italian beef sandwiches). As previously noted, it takes 30-45 minutes for a deep-dish pizza to bake, so consider calling ahead with your pizza order to avoid waiting for it to bake while you're seated.

By the way, the food at Wrigley is execrable. I suggest getting to the area very early and eating lunch elsewhere. I'm sure that other recommendations are forthcoming, but two reasonable choices are Tuscany (northern Italian), about a half-mile away, and Giordano's (stuffed pizza), adjacent to Wrigley.

I think Giordano's is a great choice. Not exactly adjacent, but walkable; the nearest location is on Belmont, half a mile south of the ballpark. 1040 W Belmont Ave, (773) 327-1200.

Oops, good catch -- I reversed the locations of Giordano's and Tuscany. I'll fix that right now.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thank you guys for your input.  I think I have narrowed it down to North Pond, one sixtyblue, and maybe Blackbird.  One sixtyblue is probably at the top of the list right now..

Now, for another question: what are some Chicago street foods that we absolutely cannot miss? How about a fun place to have a good lunch while we are out and about?  Also, anything that we shouldn't miss while we are in town? We will be going to a day game and Wrigley so that will take up most of our time on Saturday.

Here's an idea...

If you're going to take the Red Line to Wrigley (Addison stop), you could go early and take the Red Line past Addison and get off at Argyle. There's a host of Vietnamese places, but may favorite place up there is Sun Wah (Chinese BBQ). Outstanding pork, duck and chicken. You could also go after the game, which would make your El ride a lot more pleasant (most people will be taking the El back south)

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

You should consider Graham Elliot also.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Spacca Napoli

1769 W. Sunnyside Ave.

...is not too far from the park and does an incredible thin crust pizza in a special wood burning oven brought over from Italy.

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

I am not from Chicago but whenever I an there I cannot resist having one meal, at least, at Topolobampo/Frontera Grill, arguably the best Mexican restaurants in the US. If you all enjoy Mexican food you could have a good lunch there.

Ruth Friedman