• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate cakes

devlin

I'm casting around for some books to learn more about baking beautiful and flavorful chocolate cakes and working with some design elements to pretty them up, such as white chocolate cutouts, etc., over dark chocolate ganache, how to do that sort of thing and more.... Really good layer cakes, etc.

I'm not interested in super simple fudgy or sponge cakes to whip up for after-dinner dessert at home, but more complex cakes I can add to my repertoire of cakes to sell.

How about Marcel Desaulniers? (and any one of his books in particular?)

Or Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Chocolate Decorations?

Others?

for dessert cakes check out Pierre Herme's books. For decorations the Wybauw book, and for some old-school stuff Lenotre. The old reliable Cake Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum) has some nice multi-component cakes as well.