• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to cook pancetta?

Tim Dolan

I consider myself an advanced beginner, sometimes intermediate type cook. I can make a mean risotto and have no problem cooking steak to temp. I'm good at the fairly straightforward stuff. When I cook pancetta, the only thing I do with it is brown it in a frying pan then add it to whatever I'm using.

However I had dinner at a pretty good restaurant the other night and had a dish that had pancetta that melted like butter when it hit my tongue. I just sat there dumbfounded like "damn, I wish I could make pancetta like that..." I'm thinking that soft, meltingly tender pancetta mixed into risotto or mashed potatoes would be nothing short of sublime. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

It sounds like it's been cooked at very low temperatures for a long time in some additional fat. I've done that with olive oil and homemade pancetta to very good effect.

What he said. But also, it may be the quality of the pancetta. Higher fat to meat ratio might make it "meltier."

You sure it was panchetta and not something else like a braised pork belly?

99.9% positive it was pancetta. The main component of the dish was shredded duck breast with little chunks of pancetta dispersed throughout.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

There's no reason why you could not braise panchetta.

Its just cured pork belly after all.

Now that you have me thinking about that I may need to braise some. I've got a couple pounds in the fridge and was planning on curing a few more bellies anyway since I'm almost out.

Myself I generally prefer it as slightly crispy but not browned lardons or just sliced thinly and raw.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--