• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chez Claude (between Avignon and Uzès)

Abra

Being tired, hungry, and somewhat desperate, we stopped at Chez Claude, a roadside pizzeria we'd passed several times without paying any attention to it. Now it will be a destination when we're looking for a really good pizza and a really low price on the road between Avignon and Uzès.

With a pizza menu of 25-30 choices, all cooked in the wood fire, plus numerous pasta dishes, the place is a casual winner. As with most other pizza places in the region, they have a list of tomato-based pizzas and another list of pizzas based on creme fraiche. I have to say that my Pizza Marco, with creme fraiche, Roquefort, coppa, and figatelli (a Corsican sausage that's especially savory) was the best pizza I've had so far in France.

They have a very nice outdoor terrace covered with trellised vines, and two truly enormous pizzas, one coffee and one quarter of wine cost us 26 Euros.