• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trattorias in Cilento area (Campania)

Pranian man

Staying in Marina di Camerota for a week and looking for simple trattorias serving traditional, local fayre. Is there a distinctive regional cuisine?

Any suggestions from Maratea to Agropoli would be very welcome.

There was a time when going on holiday to Europe offerred a good excuse to go crazy at the high end. Now, with the state of the pound v. the euro

it is literally cheaper to go to the top London establishments which is saying something....

Still I could be tempted if there are any suggestions.

Thanks

Not trattorias, I'm afraid, but other suggestions for the region:

Caseificio Vannulo is worth a visit to see their pampered Buffalo lounging in 5* accommodation, and to sample the organic yoghurt and ice-cream produced from their milk. They have been expanding fast of late (and tour buses have started arriving), but it’s nevertheless worth a visit. They also have a fancy new website, since you ask: here (I'm assuming they haven't been affected by the Buffalo disease that's striken parts of Campania).

Likewise, Azienda Marino are also worth a call. Just on the edge of the National Park on the hills South of Agropoli, they have a stunning views over the towns and the Gulf of Salerno, along with good wines and oils. They too have a fancy new site here, (and these sites suggest the region is gearing up more coherently for foodie tourists - in contrast to the rather halting efforts of a few years ago).

There are some excellent Agriturismi emerging in the hills East of Eboli also (one just off the road leading up to the old town of Contursi Terme), but I wouldn't know where to find them, I'm afraid. It might be good fun looking for them, though!

Yes! Eat at the Giacaranda agriturismo: http://www.giacaranda.it

Breakfast is only for guests, but I believe they will let others come to dinner. It's certainly worth calling and asking!

My sister and I and our two babies stayed in San Marco di Castellabate (1/2 hour north of Marina di Camerota) for a week last year, and loved the region. There is definitely a regional cuisine-- the Cilento was the center of the "Meditteranean diet" research - lots of vegetables, some fish, very little meat. Really amazing vegetables.

I very highly recommend "The Food and Wine Guide to Naples and Campania" by Carla Capalbo. It's the bible for the region, llisting food stores, markets, agriturismi, restaurants, producers, wineries...

And I second the suggestion for Vannulo. Not just buffalo milk mozzarella and ricotta (oh my god the ricotta), but also butter, gelato, yogurt, and pudding. All of which are delicious, none of which are shipped anywhere - you have to buy them at the farm.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all suggestions - I should have added that I would be interested in all general food excursions rather than just restaurants so all are gratefully received

Got hold of The Food and Wine Guide to Naples and Campania and it looks fantastic

I knew nothing about this area before but am getting the idea that the overall standard of food served in restaurants will be good....?

Got hold of The Food and Wine Guide to Naples and Campania and it looks fantastic

I knew nothing about this area before but am getting the idea that the overall standard of food served in restaurants will be good....?

As long as you stay with technically simple, "ingredient driven" dishes (insalata caprese or calamari fritti, for example, or classical dishes like the parmigiana and go to the popular trattorias (the ones that are crowded with local people on saturday evening) , the quality level is often very hard to surpass, I found.

The bendy road along the coast from Camerota to Agropoli is time consuming but truly spectacular, BTW.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.