• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi Butter

MikeHartnett

Initially, I wanted to start a topic about how delicious the compound butter I just made was. I used David Chang's daikon kimchi, pureed, and blended it with some plain old unsalted butter. It may be the greatest condiment ever.

Then I realized that it could be a great topic to discuss off-the-wall and fantastic condiments you've come up with. I want to hear about what, in a fair world, would be the next ketchup.

And back to the kimchi butter, it is amazing on everything. Zucchini fritters, linguine, meatloaf- I've tried it on all of these and been blown away. So try it, and let me know what I should be trying, too.

I have a weird thing for hot foods. The best thing I ever made, with the added benefit of grossing out my wife, was chocolate/jalepeno ice cream sauce. I thought it was muy bueno.

Kimchi butter is pretty great, especially if you have it at a David Chang restaurant, however I'll give a nod to a much humbler condiment: equal parts ketchup and mayonnaise (the stripped-down version of Russian or Thousand Island dressing). When you mix Heinz and Hellman's you get something greater than the sum of its parts and it tastes great on just about anything.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Miso butter is fantastic as well. I've never been to any of David Chang's restaurants, but he has still managed to have a large impact on my condiments.

I'll have to try mayo and ketchup. It doesn't appeal to me right off the bat, because I don't eat a whole lot of either of them outside certain circumstances (i.e. fries or potato salad), but I can see how it could be pretty good.

ETA: Bacon + kimchi butter might make it even better. My only concern is the saltiness. Maybe I'll make a batch of bacon with a little less salt? Or maybe I'll try it anyway and be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)