• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What the Duck?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...-Chinatown.html

:angry:

Before any of you tow the party line yes yes the ovens aren't CE approved.

But those ovens have been used for years.

Well no peking duck and suckling pig for a while.

i cant recall being gassed in a chinese restaurant recently. treated with breathtaking Hong Kong rudeness yes, but there's no health and safety rule about that.

Lucky im going japanese this lunchtime in soho

s

Aside from there size, is there any reason why the ducks couldn't be roasted in another type of oven, the temperature isn't excessively high?

To be honest not really.

We use a lincat in my place.

But those ovens are designed to allow for a lot of ducks to be hung vertically and they are small considering the number of ducks it can roast.

They probably produce better result for less effort being designed to roast ducks.

oh and they are probably cheaper too being made in china and not having passed any EU testing.

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

i cant recall being gassed in a chinese restaurant recently. treated with breathtaking Hong Kong rudeness yes, but there's no health and safety rule about that.

s

you been going to Wong Kei again?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Gulp, to think i could have died on Sunday whilst standing next to one of those things in Brum Chinatown. Mind you i'd finished eating so i'd have died happy.

Even if all those ovens are shut down overnight it wouldn't be long before CE marked ovens took their place - the demand for roast duck & pork is overwhelming.

Last time i went to Wong Kei, their Duck Rice was £2.80! I'm sure it was this century too, what's the price now?

to be honest I wouldn't believe much of what I read in the mail nowadays (viz the recent Murat settlement or try reading Flat Earth News)

Given the outraged tone of the article I think its likely either untrue, highly exaggerated or at he's hugely one sided.

Don't fall for it...

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

s

you been going to Wong Kei again?

:laugh:

Yeeeeeep. I know where thats coming from.