• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Should I trade my Spanish wine?

cmkedit

This is a question for all the Spanish wine experts out there...

I have a chance to swap a bottle of 2001 Bodegas Luberri Rioja Finca Los Merinos for a bottle of 2005 Alvaro Palacios Les Terrasses Priorat. I know that I can drink the Rioja now (and even if I trade it, I'll get to enjoy a glass!) but am wondering if the Priorat will be a better treat in a few years' time. Should I go for it?

I would not make the trade. You should be able to find that vintage of Les Terraces rather easily in the Los Angeles area, and it will likely be under $30, especially if on sale. You can certainly find other vintages, too. Palacios makes other priorat wines that are designed for the long haul. Les Terraces can be enjoyed now or later.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thank you for the advice. I wasn't sure how much the Les Terrasses would improve over time.

I would not make the trade.  You should be able to find that vintage of Les Terraces rather easily in the Los Angeles area, and it will likely be under $30, especially if on sale.  You can certainly find other vintages, too.  Palacios makes other priorat wines that are designed for the long haul.  Les Terraces can be enjoyed now or later.