• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Museum of the American Cocktail

Glacies

I just want to congradulate Dale, Dave, the good Dr., Chris, Robert and everyone else involved in the reopening of the Cocktail Museum today. Here's to many years of great returns on all of your hard work. The place looks incredible!

Edited by Glacies (log)

Joe Kaiser

Kold-Draft

1525 East Lake Rd

Erie, PA 16511

Office: (814) 453-6761

Fax: (814) 455-6336

Cell: (814) 602-9703

joe.kaiser@kold-draft.com

www.kold-draft.com

It's not Ice if it's not Kold

The museum is housed within the Food and Beverage Museum in the Riverwalk complex. It's small, but nicely arranged with a lot of information packed in a small space. Antique bottles, equipment, and glassware are part of it, of course, but the displays are set up to tell stories, so it's not dry (ha!) at all.

The museum is housed within the Food and Beverage Museum in the Riverwalk complex. It's small, but nicely arranged with a lot of information packed in a small space. Antique bottles, equipment, and glassware are part of it, of course, but the displays are set up to tell stories, so it's not dry (ha!) at all.

The museum has many pre-prohibition items. The model of Jerry Thomas actually has some of his original jewelry!

Joe Kaiser

Kold-Draft

1525 East Lake Rd

Erie, PA 16511

www.kold-draft.com

Of course, the day I ended up going was the one day I went out without my camera. They've done a terrific job of retrofitting the space (a former clothing store) into a cozy set of information-dense displays. I know that Dr. Cocktail, especially, not only donated many of the items, but also applied a great deal of elbow grease -- he was changing light bulbs when I went through.

My thanks go out to the founders and members. You've created a precious repository.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

For those to whom it may not be apparent, the Riverwalk Complex is in New Orleans. Is there a website for the museum? I hope to check out the place when I am there in a few weeks. Sounds interesting.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

For those to whom it may not be apparent, the Riverwalk Complex is in New Orleans. Is there a website for the museum? I hope to check out the place when I am there in a few weeks. Sounds interesting.

www.museumoftheamericancocktail.org

Very near the French Quarter. If you are able to partake in a cocktail, I would recommend visiting Chris McMillan at the Renaissance Pere Marquette Hotel (the Mint Julep, of course) or Lu Brow at Cafe Adelaide (her brandy milk punch is terrific.)

Joe Kaiser

Kold-Draft

1525 East Lake Rd

Erie, PA 16511

www.kold-draft.com

www.museumoftheamericancocktail.org

Very near the French Quarter. If you are able to partake in a cocktail, I would recommend visiting Chris McMillan at the Renaissance Pere Marquette Hotel (the Mint Julep, of course) or Lu Brow at Cafe Adelaide (her brandy milk punch is terrific.)

Thanks! I'll be staying at the Pere Marquette so that should be easy.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There was something intensely karmic about the experience of sipping on a 20th Century cocktail while reading the contents of prohibition cabinet.

I'm glad I had the chance to visit (The brandy milk punch was also superb).

I think that's as close as I'll ever get to a sealed pre-ban bottle of Pernod Fils.

All in all, a great way to cap off Tales.

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

It does look great, although the crowds were so thick at the opening that I didn't get a good look at everything. Very nicely presented, though. I'm sure some day they'll want to claim a larger space, but for now it's like booze soaked wunderkammer.

I understand that they'll also be hosting monthly talks from heavy hitters in the cocktail world. Good news for those of us in New Orleans and something for the traveler to look for.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)