• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Covered Bacon

renam

Last night on the FoodNetwork Micheal Symon did chocolate covered bacon on Dinner Impossible segment. I guess he's the new host. Anyway, everyone loved it. Has anyone done this before? I'm thinking of doing it for the Holidays. I'm worried about the shelf life though. Would probably have to do it on a made to order and not in advance....

Any thoughts? :wink:

Thanks,

Rena

I've copied Vosges chocolate Mo Bacon bar. As long as the bacon is crispy (ie the same sort of crispy that you'd use for bacon bits) - I don't see why it shouldn't have a decent shelf life. There isn't a whole lot of available water in crispy bacon.

We had a bunch of chocolate leftover from making fondue at our Christmas party in December, so my sister and I made a bunch of chocolate-covered bacon one night after dinner. It's one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Also, dark chocolate and brie paninis are great.

For what it's worth, I've found the best way to make the crispiest bacon is in the microwave. Less mess, less heat, and absolutely shatteringly crisp. You just have to watch to make sure it doesn't start to burn, and cook it between paper towels to prevent spatters (on a bed of newspaper to absorb the fat).

I'm really intrigued by chocolate-covered bacon. Gotta find a way to sneak the bacon past my non-pork-tolerant wife.

--Josh

Never liked it, tried it many different ways. I don't like the bitter cocoa flavor with my pork.

I have talked to a lot of people who have had the vosges chocolate bacon bar, I haven't met a single person who liked it.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Never liked it, tried it many different ways.  I don't like the bitter cocoa flavor with my pork.

I have talked to a lot of people who have had the vosges chocolate bacon bar, I haven't met a single person who liked it.

I really enjoyed the vosges bacon bar - but then again we've never met!

Never liked it, tried it many different ways.  I don't like the bitter cocoa flavor with my pork.

If you don't care for the cocoa flavor w/ bacon how about bacon brittle?? It has a tremendous smoky flavor and adds a wonderful "chew" to crisp pecan brittle. You can cook the brittle to a dark caramel furthering the dimension of flavor :wink: . There's a local restaurant in town where it's all the rage.

I think it may depend on the chocolate you use as well. I was going to use milk chocolate. Semi sweet might clash with salty I don't know. I'll have to try it see. The only thing is I'm not a big fan of real crispy bacon. I like mine right before it goes to cirspy....The caramel thing sounds good too. Geez there so much you can do with chocolate these days.....I'll let you all know how it went..... :raz: