• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Monthly's 25 Best Restaurants

Rosie

These restaurants were picked by the NJ Monthly restaurant critics and dining editor. They are listed in alphabetical order. One that made the list is Mantra. I've been there 3 times and have had consistently great dinners.

Info here: http://njmonthly.com/articles/restaurants/...estaurants.html

Edited by Rosie (log)

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Pretty cool that Ox made the list. This is a good place to go during the week as it doesn't get too crowded. While they do have a liquor license they have been accomodating in regards to corkage charging $15. I would recommend you call ahead to make sure the policy didn't change.

Edited by paul jaouen (log)

As usual, these NJ Monthly "reviews" are slanted favorably toward those restaurants that advertise with the magazine. (shameful!)

FROMAGERIE!!?? A few months ago, I had one of the worst meals ever there. Overpriced, pretentious, a beef dish overcooked, eccch.

Conspicuously absent from the list:

Serenade, Chatham

Stage Left, New Brunswick

Also demonstrates the lacking state of restaurants in the whole state of NJ...

• 2 weeks later...
rosie, ( or anyone!!)

Have you been to Restarant Latour?

kim

YES, but not since Michael W. has been there so I can't comment on the food although I liked Michael's cooking when he was at The Manor. We were there quite a few years ago when John Benjamin was the chef and had a tour of the wine cellar which was quite impressive.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

As usual, these NJ Monthly "reviews" are slanted favorably toward those restaurants that advertise with the magazine.  (shameful!) 

I dunno. Where else would you expect higher end NJ restaurants to advertise? NJ Monthly seems like an obvious choice to me.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I dunno. Where else would you expect higher end NJ restaurants to advertise? NJ Monthly seems like an obvious choice to me.

My comment was not directed at the choice of where to advertise; it was the bias toward the advertisers in the reviews published in the magazine with the readers left to assume the impartiality of the review. That's what's shameful...

I can't see the list:

Oooops ... an error occurred

NotFound

Site Error

An error was encountered while publishing this resource.

Resource not found

Sorry, the requested resource does not exist.

Check the URL and try again.

Resource: Unknown

My comment was not directed at the choice of where to advertise; it was the bias toward the advertisers in the reviews published in the magazine with the readers left to assume the impartiality of the review. That's what's shameful...

I really find it hard to believe that there is a direct correlation between good reviews and advertising in NJ Monthly. Our restaurant has been very favorably covered- in reviews, readers and critics polls and other articles, and we have never advertised there.

My comment was not directed at the choice of where to advertise; it was the bias toward the advertisers in the reviews published in the magazine with the readers left to assume the impartiality of the review.  That's what's shameful...

I understand that. I don't subscribe to NJ Monthly, though (I do occasionally read it occasionally it at my mother's house), so I haven't noticed trends one way or the other. My question is whether the reviews & the advertising are linked or coincidence, though. Do you consistently see favorable reviews that you would disagree with? Reviews are so subjective beyond things like facts of the decor, items served, temperature of food, etc, that it is hard to say a review is precisely wrong. My point is that NJ Monthly reviews higher-end restaurants AND they are a good advertising location for higher-end reviews. There's likely to be overlap there, and it may seem skewed when it may either be simple coincidence, or perhaps coincidence combined with a policy of only printing favorable reviews, period. Heck, maybe NJ restaurants are just all good! :biggrin: Anyway, I'm just saying it may not be deliberate, but I'd definitely be interesed to see examples if you think it is.

(I'm also thinking maybe it's time to break-off the thread to a new topic?)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Restaurant David Drake doesn't advertise in NJ monthly.  I can't speak for the others but in our case, it isn't because we advertise. :smile:

Picnic has had a few reader bests, and we don't advertise, period.

Edited by PicnicChef (log)