• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book"

Lesley C

I just got the book today...I was supposed to go to the Hollywood Farmers Market with friends (Nancy was there doing a book signing) but unfortunately my car engine caught on fire (and is now a total write-off) and so I never made it to Hollywood. HOWEVER my friends brought me an autographed copy and I have been drooling over the photos and recipes this afternoon. Examples:

Piled High Pork Sandwich. Brine your pork for a couple of days, roast it on top of some onions, slice it thin. Roast a yam and puree it with a sage brown butter. Make a balsamic sage brown butter. Grill your sourdough and rub with garlic. To assemble: bread, carmelized onions, sauteed greens, yam puree, pork, a sprinkling of fleur de sel and a drizzle of balsamic sage brown butter. I don't think I can wait for the pork to marinate!

Roasted Beets, Goat Cheese, Sauteed beet greens and candied spicy walnuts on white or ww sourdough.

Braised leeks, hard-cooked eggs and anchovies.

Lots more, including, of course, her famous grilled cheese with a few variations. mmmm....just looking at the recipe for a clam sandwich with parmesan breadcrumbs. Clams sauteed in garlic butter and vermouth and piled high on top of garlic toast.

I obviously haven't tried anything yet but I will be tomorrow!

mmmmm. Grilled Escarole, white bean puree and bacon.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...