• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nachos in Vancouver

eatrustic

It's funny, I haven't had Natchos in years mainly because they are way too bad for you but most importantly I got really tired of badly made piles of chips with a splash of crappy salsa and canned guacamole on the top and nothing underneath.

Due to all this great weather we're having I'm getting a craving to sit on a deck somewhere and eat some really good ones with a Marg or a Cerveza.

Are there any recs for really well made Natchos (either traditional or perhaps something inspired)?

While they don't have nachos on the menu, Tequila Kitchen has all the ingredients including good chips, excellent guacamole and salsas, etc.  So you can build your own:  http://www.tequilakitchen.ca

Yes, that's an option although I prefer to go the "off the menu" route before I start with the a la carte version.

As with my previous hunts for the best I'll just start trying the usual suspects and report back.

Now if only I could find a good sous vide version.............. :laugh:

I used to have "white trash" nachos at The Whip when I had a craving for nachos with canned olives and jalapenos--looks like they have a new chef--Jeff Wernbacher and he may have kicked it up a notch--Nachos - Tortilla chips, Serrano chili, cheddar, avocado cream, and green onions --10$ I'd still miss the olives though--it's one of those weird cravings we seamonkeys get on a full moon.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

The Doll and Penny on Davie had fine nachos - and the Pan Pacific Hotel. It's been a few years.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack