• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Framboise flavor substitution

sugar plum

I'm baking my first tiered cake for a party this weekend. This is the recipe I selected:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...DING-CAKE-12053

After reading through it last week, I realized it calls for "eau-de-vie de framboise". Now this appears to pose a little bit of a problem as it isn't sold in Ontario!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good substitution? I have bought both framboise wine (which I think will be too wine-y) and raspberry vodka (which might be too boozy). I also have kirsch at home but cherries and raspberries and lemons...I don't know if that would be the best solution??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You're right, that framboise wine would be a bad idea. (putrid stuff!) Ever tried the blueberry one? (even worse!) I don't like the idea of raspberry vodka either, and I can't stand kirsch.

I say make the simple syrup with just plain almond extract. Raspberry and almond are really lovely together.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Edited to add that if you don't like that idea you could try chambord instead.

Edited by Sugarella (log)

this is an easy one, to keep the raspberry flavor, use raspberry schnapps, or which i do a lot of is take some frozen raspberries and just make a bit of puree to add to your soaking liquid, it will really add the raspberry flavor without the alcohol, which is what a lot of your customers request.

Eric

I find that kirsch actually brings out the raspberry flavour better than the framboise (and I've got a bottle of the eau de vie). I seem to recall a discussion in the past, where the suggestion was to use another fruit flavour to enhance rather than more of the same - and kirsch was a favorite for enhancing a lot of the red fruits.

I find that kirsch actually brings out the raspberry flavour better than the framboise (and I've got a bottle of the eau de vie).  I seem to recall a discussion in the past, where the suggestion was to use another fruit flavour to enhance rather than more of the same - and kirsch was a favorite for enhancing a lot of the red fruits.

You could also use chambord, which is a raspberry liquor but not clear. I have near gotten a good explanation as to the difference.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I find that kirsch actually brings out the raspberry flavour better than the framboise (and I've got a bottle of the eau de vie).  I seem to recall a discussion in the past, where the suggestion was to use another fruit flavour to enhance rather than more of the same - and kirsch was a favorite for enhancing a lot of the red fruits.

You could also use chambord, which is a raspberry liquor but not clear. I have near gotten a good explanation as to the difference.

Chambord is a liqueur, whereas framboise is an eau de vie. The most obvious difference (apart from colour) is that Chambord has sugar and framboise does not. Also, Chambord is not re-distilled after the raspberry flavour is contributed, so its flavour will fade over time after the bottle is opened. Because the framboise is distilled, the flavour (which is rather more ethereal than Chambord's) won't fade.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I didn't expect to get such a response!

I think I will follow Kerry's advice and use the kirsch I had originally bought. I may make a "test batch" and try it before pouring it all over the cake. If all goes well, I'll post some pictures of my finished cake this weekend.