• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cream of the Crop

cooker4u22

What kinds of foods do you consider the "cream of the crop"  in your kitchen?  what are some of the best recipes you have made with your hands?

That's a potentially interesting question(s) but I'll ask for an elaboration - are you thinking about prized ingredients? Recipes that don't require electricity?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Cream of the crop could simply mean any food that you enjoy making that's delicious. I made a cheesecake recently with the cheesecake customizer on creamcheese.com.. it wasn't the best I've ever had, but it definitely was still good.

Focaccia comes to mind - water, yeast, flour, sugar, salt, oil and my own rosemary. In just a few hours you go from zero to hot rustic bread, with crunchy salt and good olive oil dripping from your elbows. Oh, yeah.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I think the best dish I have ever produced in my kitchen is slow braised pork belly with seared scallops, buttery potato puré and a madeira reduction.

I braised the pork belly in madeira, stock and spices until very very tender, cooled it under pressure (to produce a nice flat piece) and sliced it in neat squares. Defatted the braising liquid and reduced it to a sauce. Seared the belly cubes until crisp on the outside and melting inside and did the same with the scallops.

Dressed the plates with a little sauce, alternating pieces of belly and scallops in a neat row and a quenelle of potato puré at the end.

Not that complicated but very very good.

The dish was very much inspired by a dish from Gordon Ramsey at Royal Hospital Road where they serve braised pork belly, langoustine tails and creamed parsley with a madeira reduction.