• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bumblefish

MarketStEl

It appears that the owners of the former deli/convenience store on 10th Street across from St. Stephen's Church have decided to catch a passing wave, for their old space is now the fourth location for a fast-food chain out of Arlington, Va., called Bumblefish.

Judging from the nascent chain's Web site, Bumblefish has as its goal making Japan's second-most-popular fast food (after ramen noodle soup) as American as tofuburgers. Menu items are grouped into four broad categories, all color-coded -- Veggie (green), Cooked (brown), Raw (red) and More (salads, soups, dumplings and spring rolls, blue) -- and the dishes are boxed to grab 'n' go.

Seeing as the chain has two outlets in Kansas City -- this Philadelphia store is the chain's fourth location -- I'm guessing that the chain is succeeding at its goal. Or maybe the locals like the corny names for some of the sushi rolls on the menu ("You Sunk My Battered Shrimp", "Livin' La Vida Lobster").

Initial reports from Phillybloggers who have visited suggest this place lives up to its advance billing.

I popped my head in the place yesterday and recognized the staff from the former deli. The place is bright, clean, neat and spare in decor. I'll have a full report once I eat there.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3