• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Restaurants in London

I have some clients going to London in August and are asking for recommendations for a good Mexican restaurant. They are staying in Kensington, but anywhere in London would work.

Thanks

Patti

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

i would suggest that you steer them towards something else - wahaca is great but Mexican food in the UK is pretty much non existent compared to the USA. Rather try something closer to home - a trad Brit restaurant, French/Italian or Indian if you wanted to stay "ethnic" as these are all far more rooted in our culinary culture and more likely to impress your clients...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

None of the cool kids ever got me.

Anyway, as I say, Green & Red (out east, in a plasticly edgy area) is quite good but can sometimes feel like gatecrashing a Hollyoaks wrap party. Mestizo (sp? On the Zone 1 side of the Hampstead Road) claims authenticity, so you have to assume the occasional dish tasting of sweet tar and barbershop sweepings is meant to be that way. Santo (up the wrong end of P'bello Road) is mechanically ordinary and Taquera (in Notting Hill's franchise prototype testing zone) is a cheery canteen-ish place that's cheap enough not to worry about its habitual misfires.

Edited by naebody (log)

None of the cool kids ever got me.

Anyway, as I say, Green & Red (out east, in a plasticly edgy area) is quite good but can sometimes feel like gatecrashing a Hollyoaks wrap party. Mestizo (sp? On the Zone 1 side of the Hampstead Road) claims authenticity, so you have to assume the occasional dish tasting of sweet tar and barbershop sweepings is meant to be that way. Santo (up the wrong end of P'bello Road) is mechanically ordinary and Taquera (in Notting Hill's franchise prototype testing zone) is a cheery canteen-ish place that's cheap enough not to worry about its habitual misfires.

Just what I needed. Thanks for your info!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Haven't tried Green and Red, but have tried Wahaca, I thought it was good, but a bit safe and overall underwhelming, more details on my blog but it was a while back in January, so haven't linked to it.

Recently went to Mestizo, and your question prompted me to get my write up done, its rather large, but thats because I was very ambivalent, see here . In a nutshell though, the service was the worst I have ever had, the wine and cocktails were terrible, as was the dessert, but some of the food, especially the mole was very good.

Cactus Blue in Brompton Road.

No idea if it is good or not (I've only had a couple of beers and some nachos there), but if you travel from the US to London to eat mexican, food quality is probably not a major concern.

The bar is ok though, a bit expensive but not more expensive than a lot of other places in Chelsea.

• 2 weeks later...