• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese pancakes

Ce'nedra

Lately, I've been increasingly interested in the different varieties of Chinese pancakes -both sweet and savoury (but much more leaning towards the latter).

There's Peking pancake for duck (uhh not sure of its official name), popiah, green onion pancake, crisp red bean pancake and...well, that's as far as my knowledge reaches.

Please help shed light on the other varities!

I've seen some really peculiar ones lately and the combinations of foods you eat with the pancakes are ENDLESS!

I figured it'd be a nice change from eating noodles and rice all the time -having crisp onion pancake with lamb as dinner for eg. I'm drooling...

On to another note, has anybody here ever tried making Chinese pancakes (in any particular form at all)?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

How about pancakes like this?

PEASANT PANCAKES

1 cup flour – all purpose

1 cup chicken broth

1 Chinese sausage – diced small

½ cup finely diced shrimp

½ cup finely chopped scallion

¼ cup finely chopped water chestnuts

¼ cup finely chopped carrot

¼ tsp. sugar

½ tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. pepper

¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (opt)

Salt to taste

Oil for pan frying – about 5 Tbsp.

Mix the flour and broth to a smooth batter.

Add everything else ---except the oil. Mix well

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil to cover the bottom.

When oil is hot, add 2 Tbsp. batter.

Fry until set brown and crisp on the bottom.

Turn and brown the other side.

Keep warm in oven until all pancakes are cooked.

Serve warm or with a soy/vinegar dip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or -- this one I've used from a little Hong Kong Dim Sum booklet:

CHINESE SAVOURY PANCAKES

Batter: 10 ounces flour

½ tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. shrimp paste

2 ½ cups of water

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. sugar

3 Tbsp. lard or oil

Filling: 5 oz. roasted pork (BBQ)

5 oz. Shrimp / or use 2 oz. dried shrimp

3 oz. Leek

1 oz. Carrot

dash of pepper

½ tsp. sesame oi

- Sieve flour and baking soda together in a bowl.

- Mix shrimp paste with water, add salt and sugar and mix.

- Pour liquid into dry ingredients, add the oil and stir again.

-Chop the pork in small pieces.

- Wash and chop shrimp.

- Boil carrot till tender crisp and dice small.

- Mince leek.

- Put all these ingredients into the batter.

- Add pepper and sesame oil, and mix well.

- Heat a pan and add a little oil.

- Pour ¼ cup batter into pan.

- Let pancake set, then turn and brown the other side.

jo-mel: Thanks -you're a legend! :D

I've never heard of the peasant style pancake before -it's rather interesting and reminds me alot of Korean pancakes (the main difference being the Koreans use seafood). Sounds rather filling too (which is always a good thing).

What does the shrimp paste add in terms of flavour to the pancake from the Dim Sum booklet?

Do you know any of any other that are used to mop up saucey meals or as a wrap?

I do the chinese green onion pancakes where you have to roll them into a snail shape and then flatten them. They come out very flakey. I cut them into quarters, and serve them with sambal oelek, soya sauce and sugar (although any chilli sauce would work I've found this to be the tastiest). This is such a good combo when you want something really savoury.

jo-mel: Thanks -you're a legend! :D

I've never heard of the peasant style pancake before -it's rather interesting and reminds me alot of Korean pancakes (the main difference being the Koreans use seafood). Sounds rather filling too (which is always a good thing).

What does the shrimp paste add in terms of flavour to the pancake from the Dim Sum booklet?

Do you know any of any other that are used to mop up saucey meals or as a wrap?

Shrimp Paste has a distinctive pungent flavor and aroma. Think Anchovy Paste, but stronger in odor and flavor.

I do the chinese green onion pancakes where you have to roll them into a snail shape and then flatten them.  They come out very flakey.  I cut them into quarters, and serve them with sambal oelek, soya sauce and sugar (although any chilli sauce would work I've found this to be the tastiest).  This is such a good combo when you want something really savoury.

Ahh -- scallion pancakes are just the best! So few ingredients, but such flavor!

I was making the during a Super Bowl half-time one time -------- but they never left the kitchen. The guys in the group came into the kitchen and ate them as soon as they came out of the pan!! I don't remember even getting one myself!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know a recipe for this sort of pancake?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aptronym/4990...57600303539217/

Oh and a recipe for the pancakes used when eating Peking Duck would be greatly appreciated too :D

Just an idea:

Have you tried experimenting with mixing flour and water and a bit of salt and oil then roll out the "pancake" and fry it on a flat pan?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Oh and a recipe for the pancakes used when eating Peking Duck would be greatly appreciated too :D

Flour, hot water, salt --> mix into moderately firm dough. Form small balls and then slightly flatten. Brush one flatten side generously with sesame/ordinary oil, stick another disc on the oiled side. Flatten with hand and then roll out very thin. Cook in dry pan over moderate heat until brown. Peel apart the two layers (voila! very thin pancakes!). Can then be kept frozen/prepared immediately for steaming.

They're really quite fun to make! :biggrin:

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Ahh thanks guys.

No, hzrt8w, I haven't yet tried since I have no idea about the ratio of flour to water, etc.

I'm guessing most of these pancakes need to go through the process of 'roll and squish'? For some reason, that scares me.

Ahh thanks guys.

No, hzrt8w, I haven't yet tried since I have no idea about the ratio of flour to water, etc.

I'm guessing most of these pancakes need to go through the process of 'roll and squish'? For some reason, that scares me.

Rather than 'roll and squish', how about 'pop and press'?? 'Pop' the dough in a tortilla thingie and 'press'. A really useful tool for making scallion pancakes, too.

(Hi there, Xiao Hzrt! 好久不見! )

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than 'roll and squish', how about 'pop and press'??  'Pop' the dough in a tortilla thingie and 'press'.  A really useful tool for making scallion pancakes, too.

(Hi there, Xiao Hzrt!  好久不見! )

Hey that's a really neat idea (easy too) -good thinking jo-mel!

My problem though, would be the access to such an equipment. I haven't seen a tortilla squisher (yay to my classy word creation skills) anywhere around here unfortunately (i.e. not to my knowledge anyway).