• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Modern Cocktails

Nathan

so last night playing with the iPhone cocktail app I ran across the Modern No.2 (out of the Savoy) which calls for 2 sloe gin, 1 scotch, and dashes of orange bitters, absinthe and grenadine.

I made it with Plymouth Sloe, Peat Monster, Fee's orange and Edouard 72. I omitted the genadine as pushing the sweetness too high (rightly I think).

Anyway, this is an awesome drink. Worthy of contemplation. Loved it.

Anyone know more about these cocktails? Had them?

I haven't tried this but it appears in Dr. Cocktail's book slightly modified as the Modernista. Of course his addition of Swedish Punsch made the drink inaccessable at the time to most of us, unfortunately. I'd be willing to bet that a half-tsp or so of Grenadine won't make the drink appreciably sweeter, but by omitting it you're missing out on what is in my opinion one of the greatest combos possible in a cocktail: anise (from pastis or absinthe) and red fruit (grenadine, cherry heering, etc). I might give this one a go tonight if I get a chance, to the original specs. If the grenadine is in fact making it too sweet for you, try adding another 1/4 oz or so of scotch.

Just my $.02

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

ah, I've made a modernista, didn't catch the connection!

Ok, will try it with grenadine included tonight.

Edit: aren't you already getting the anise/red fruit combo with the sloe?

Edited by Nathan (log)

ah, I've made a modernista, didn't catch the connection!

Ok, will try it with grenadine included tonight.

Edit: aren't you already getting the anise/red fruit combo with the sloe?

Maybe you get some of it, but I think Sloe Gin is a little bit tart and astringent to play that part. I could be wrong though, I'll report back after trying it tonight.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 3 weeks later...
I made it with Plymouth Sloe, Peat Monster, Fee's orange and Edouard 72.  I omitted the genadine as pushing the sweetness too high (rightly I think).

I tried this twice last night, first with Plymouth Sloe, Famous Grouse (due to faulty recollection of Nathan's post), Fee's orange bitters, St. George absinthe, and homemade grenadine, and then again with Peat Monster after rereading Nathan's post. The contrast was interesting - I initially found the Peat Monster somewhat distracting and distinctly preferred the version with Grouse, but over time the flavors seemed to integrate better and the complexity and dryness of the Peat Monster came into play.

The jury is still out, but they certainly both work. I didn't try it without the grenadine but it definitely made a positive contribution to the drink, although the sweetness level does need to be managed very carefully.

• 2 months later...

I decided to break in my new bottle of sloe gin (thanks, LeNell) with a Modern variation. I tried leaving out the grenadine so as not to interfere with the sloes, and lacking a scotch worthy of the drink, I thought I'd try bourbon:

2 oz sloe gin (Plymouth)

1 oz bourbon (Old Fitzgerald BIB)

1/2 tsp absinthe (Kubler)

1 dash orange bitters (Regan's)

lemon twist

Good, but not great. I couldn't quite find the bourbon amid the sloes, and a touch more sweetness seemed needed. I also thought that a more aromatic bitters might help, as well as some caramel on the nose. Finally, I wondered what the earthiness of rye would do with those tart berries.

So, next try:

1 1/2 oz sloe gin

1 1/2 oz rye (Rittenhouse BIB)

1/2 tsp absinthe (Kubler)

1/2 tsp 2:1 demerara syrup

1 dash orange bitters (Angostura)

flamed lemon twist

Now that's a fine drink. I'd have used orange if I had one here, which would have been better. But, boy, what a fun formula to fiddle with.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 year later...