• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best liquor stores in the Boston area?

I've just moved to Cambridge from Chicago, and I think I was rather spoilt for choice with liquor stores there. We had to slim the liquor cabinet down a bit to move, so I'm looking to pick up a variety of somewhat obscure things - what's my best bet? For example, going into random stores in Cambridge hasn't yielded a single bottle of maraschino yet, and I'm sure there must be much better places that I haven't stumbled onto.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Cambridge!!!

If you have a car, I'd suggest Martignetti's in Allston or Marty's out in Newton (Washington St.). Marty's also has a Coolidge Corner location, but I've never actually been there.

I believe Charles St. Liquors in in Beacon Hill has a good selection (we got Plymouth Sloe Gin there), and the wine shop next to Eastern Standard in Kenmore Sq. has a small but decent selection of spirits. We've randomly found some great stuff at Supreme Liquors in Central Sq., and I hear that Wine and Cheese Cask in Cambridge/Somerville is worth checking out. University Wine Shop in Cambridge (near Porter Sq.) has some decent items too.

Good luck with your shopping!

• 2 weeks later...

Beacon Hill Wine and Spirits is the other wine/liquor store on Charles Street. Closer to the Public Garden and the Common than Charles Street Liquor.

I've never shopped for these items, but if I had to search, I'd start with Marty's on Washington Street in Newton. They have the space for less common items, which smaller stores do not. Call ahead. Their Coolidge Corner location is much smaller.

• 1 year later...

Last week I was in my favorite wine shop in Boston, the miniscule Federal Wine in the Financial District. Despite the complete lack of space, they are well regarded for their wine and scotch selections--and their tastings are excellent. Anyway, for some reason, I looked up and saw a shelf of liquors I'd never noticed before, such as the creme de violette that you mentioned. They're worth a call or visit, especially if it's not peak hour and you have time to chat with the proprietor, Len, or the other folks who work there. Very knowledgeable and generous.

The Wine and Cheese Cask in Somerville isn't bad -- they sporadically have the Lemon Hart Demerara rums and other useful things -- but I'd start with Charles St Liquors for in-the-city shopping. IME it's much better than the other place further up Charles, which over the years has been guilty of some weird sins (like keeping bottles of Lafite in the window) and has never quite seemed (to me at least) to really know what they were doing.

Federal Wine & Spirits is a spectacular place to buy higher-end bottles of wine. I've repeatedly had the wonderful experience of telling Len what I'm looking for and watching him produce exactly the right thing from a dark corner of the shop. The two best bottles I've ever had at home -- a L'Evangile '85 and a '75 Haut-Brion -- were both bought there.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Federal Wine & Spirits is a spectacular place to buy higher-end bottles of wine. I've repeatedly had the wonderful experience of telling Len what I'm looking for and watching him produce exactly the right thing from a dark corner of the shop. The two best bottles I've ever had at home -- a L'Evangile '85 and a '75 Haut-Brion -- were both bought there.

I can imagine, sounds delicious! To clarify for other readers, though, Federal Wine isn't just for high end wines. Though they don't carry the mass market stuff, you can get wonderful wines in the $10-30 range. I'm convinced that you get better wines for your money here than any other shop in the area. I don't buy all my wine at Federal, can't afford it, but I get all my favorite wines here.

I'd also put in a plug for their tastings, which are generally very well selected, informative, and offer great bargains if you purchase a tasting case--2 bottles of the 6 tasting wines, always at a reduced price. Most amazing has to be their 2 day champagne tasting in early December. Offerings range from the very pricy tetes de cuvees--this year's selection included Veuve Clicquot 1998 La Grande Dame--to lesser known but excellent small estate champagnes. A great education in champagnes and it is FREE. They do a terrible job of updating their web site (www.federalwine.com) but you can sign up for their weekly newsletter there. They also do occasional scotch tastings, but I've never participated.

I had to go out for some Jell-O supplies, and was going to the Shaw's in Porter Square, and since brandy was on the list . . . for the Jell-O . . . I went into the Liquor World store there at the shopping plaza, and they had maraschino.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 5 weeks later...

For those further west of Boston, I can enthusiastically recommend Julio's on Rt 9 in Westborough, where I bought Branca Menta and Luxardo Maraschino cherries yesterday, and who have most or all of the Haus Alpenz stuff, a great rum selection (tiki geeks, take note -- I believe they have every rum called for in Berry's books, as well as intriguing sippers like El Dorado 21), a long row of Marie Brizard products, all the Fee Bros bitters, a nice selection of ryes, etc., etc.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger