• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick question . . .

steverino

I can't remember the name of this, or the proportions, but I've got a hare-brained scheme involving this,other magickal ingredients, soy sauce, and green tomatoes . . .

HELP!

Thanks.

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

Gomasio - Take sesame seeds and gently roast them in a pan. When the temp's right they might hop a little. As they start to get brown, take one and see how it tastes. If you don't have other smells in the kitchen, you can also tell that way.

When they're ready, put them into a suribachi and add some sea salt and grind them. The amount of salt makes a big difference as this is a condiment.

Good gomasio, like tamari and miso, is a good thing.

Very true. A very good thing. I can't help taking a spoonful or two of hor gomasio while packaging it up for later use.

So, steverino, what's up? What did you do? Did you like it?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes. My surabachi is four feet wide at the top. The fragrance that comes up from the narrow bottom as the pestle grinds the seeds spreads in all directions and is incredibly intense no matter where someone stands.

From plain rice to silen tofu to strip-loin steak, gomasio always works.

So how about those green tomatoes, steverino?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes. My surabachi is four feet wide at the top.  The fragrance that comes up from the narrow bottom as the pestle grinds the seeds spreads in all directions and is incredibly intense no matter where someone stands.

For a suribachi like yours I would give my kingdom - if I had one.

We're moving into snipe territory. :biggrin:

Thanks, all -

Well, here's what happened-

I cracked an egg, added about 1tsp of soy sauce to it. Ground some bread into breadcrumbs, and added sesame and kosher salt. Dredged the green tomatoes in the egg, then crumb combo, and sauteed them in canola oil, until lightly browned.

I figured the sesame seeds would kind of "toast" themselves in the process.

I literally had the tomatoes sliced and ready to go when I posted that question, and impatience won out, so, no "Gomasio".

Anyway, they were "interesting". I think I probably should have used more oil, as the tomatoes were quite hard when browned. I will definately continue to experiment, as my garden is still full of the little green buggers.

So, in frustration, I sliced up some "garden fresh" red romas (last of the season) used the same ingredients, and sauteed them in butter.

These guys were phenomenal!

Would have been great accompanied by a lightly dressed baby green salad, and a 2" thick slab of sirloin!!!

PS - "Gomasio" is now written on the inside of the door of my spice cabinet.

Thanks -

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant