• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good on-line wine retailer

Anyone know of a good on-line wine retailer - i need to send some presents

Thanks

Tony

I use Cadman Fine Wines admittedly at first because they were the only place in the UK that I found stocked Fondreche, but I don't have any complaints with their service or the wines I've bought from them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree that Berry Bros and Justerinis are very good, as are Corney and Barrow (http://www.corneyandbarrow.com) and the Wine Society; I'll use C&B for my En Primeur and the others for specific wines.

I also like using independent merchants whenever possible, Great Grog (www.greatgrog.co.uk) have a good list (especially of exclusive grand cru fizz at £16/17 a bottle which outperforms many £30 bottles I've sampled) and Grog will deliver a case anywhere in the UK for free. I've used them for a lot of work things and regular customers / bulk buyers will get a discount if asked for.

Also a new discovery is Naked Wines (http://www.nakedwines.com/), a company recently set up by the ex-top bod of Virgin Wine. Naked focus on small, artisanal producers that won't be supported by larger distributors. The website has an innovative Ebay-type wine auction and they also allow you to "sponsor" an individual producer, basically you pre-pay £5 per month which goes to the maker and you can off-set it against their wines at a later date, along with a 30-odd percent discount, and they'll often send you 6 bottles free when you sign up. :biggrin:

Happy drinking