• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer frosting advice needed

Fernwood

I need to make a birthday cake for a family event this weekend. The cake will be chocolate chiffon and I would like to use a somewhat fluffy, vanilla-flavored frosting. I have proven several times that meringue buttercreams are not a good idea for July here. What frosting type might be better in heat + humidity?

Thanks, Fern

Canadianbakin beat me to it.

The stuff is a staple of Southern homes and it was around a whole lot sooner than the a.c. was. It holds up great. And, besides, it's delicious

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thank you all!

I'd use this one: Seven Minute Frosting.
Canadianbakin beat me to it.

The stuff is a staple of Southern homes and it was around a whole lot sooner than the a.c. was. It holds up great. And, besides, it's delicious

I was wondering whether Seven Minute Frosting was a reasonable choice. I'm not sure I've ever actually made it, but it looks totally do-able. Two questions:

1. Does anyone have advice about the Kitchenaid version (make warm syrup, beat eggwhites separately to start, add syrup while beating), vs. the traditional hand-held mixer over the stove approach?

2. If I'm covering a light-textured chocolate cake, should I be doing a crumb coat first? If so, do you think there are any compatibility issues? (Is the 7MF going to slide off of a layer of something else?)

Thanks again, Fern

Hi Fern,

The 7-Minute Frosting actually is the method for making a Swiss Meringue, while pouring hot syrup into egg whites while beating is the method for an Italian Meringue. I've actually not needed to make an Italian Meringue before but I hear it's stiffer and forms a nice crust. But 7-Minute Frosting is my go-to frosting... And the temperature here is usually in the 27°-35°C range.

I don't have a stand mixer so I've always done the 7-minute hand mixer beating. Cook's Illustrated has a stand mixer method that should work well:

2 large egg whites

200g granulated sugar

60g water

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon corn syrup

Heat everything in a bain marie for 5-10 minutes, or a thermometer registers 160°F (70°C), stirring constantly. Transfer to the mixer bowl and beat on medium for 5 minutes, then at medium-high for 5 more minutes.

Regarding the crumb coat: I've only ever frosted dense cakes (white butter, devil's food) with this, but I didn't apply a crumb coat in the strict sense of the word (you know, thin haphazard layer, refrigerate, re-frost). Instead I just lop it on in voluptuous swirls. Applied really thickly you won't even get to touch the cake with the spatula.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I was wondering whether Seven Minute Frosting was a reasonable choice.  I'm not sure I've ever actually made it, but it looks totally do-able.  Two questions:

1. Does anyone have advice about the Kitchenaid version (make warm syrup, beat eggwhites separately to start, add syrup while beating), vs. the traditional hand-held mixer over the stove approach?

2. If I'm covering a light-textured chocolate cake, should I be doing a crumb coat first?  If so, do you think there are any compatibility issues?  (Is the 7MF going to slide off of a layer of something else?)

Thanks again,  Fern

Firstly, YES a crumb coat is essential. I would crumb coat with very light coat of buttercream, or cream cheese frosting, or whatever you have handy. Even white ganache at a pinch. You can't use the 7 min frosting to crumb coat, because you need to apply it as soon as it is made; hence if you used some to crumb coat and left it to set, the remainder of the frosting would be too firm come time to apply it. I doubt it would slide, it's a pretty sticky frosting.

I actually go with the Italian meringue method, I've never tried the over the stove method, the Ital method is pretty easy and works.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."