• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Prix Fixe deals on the Left Bank: 5e 6e 7e

hazardnc

My sister is making her first trip Paris in late September and is staying in the 5th arr. Any of you have suggestions for good prix fixe menus she could try? She will eat just about anything.

Your sister is in luck, because some of the best prix fixe values in Paris are in the 5th, 3 off the top of my head include.

Le Pre Verre: this has always been one of my favorites for the price, and offers modern French cooking with an interesting use of spices. And the menu, the last time I was there, is only 26€ for 3-courses, which is a steal for what they offer.

8 rue Thénard, Paris 5th. Metro: Maubert-Mutualité

01 43 54 59 47

closed Sunday, Monday, 1 week at xmas, 2 weeks in August

Ribouldingue: A mostly offal menu, which might not please everyone but it is very well done, the menu is only 27€.

10 rue St Julien le Pauvre, Paris 5th, Metro: St Michel

01 46 33 98 80

closed Sunday and Monday, 2 weeks begining of August

Les Papilles: A wonderful neo-bistro serving a market-based menu with updated versions of French bistro cuisine. 4 course menu is 28.50, no choice, however.

30 rue Gay Lussac, 5th, metro: Luxembourg or Cluny la Sorbonne

01 43 25 20 79

closed sundays and 3 weeks in August

Edited to add addresses (sorry Dave!)

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Your sister is in luck, because some of the best prix fixe values in Paris are in the 5th,  3 off the top of my head include.

Le Pre Verre: this has always been one of my favorites for the price, and offers modern French cooking with an interesting use of spices.  And the menu, the last time I was there, is only 26€ for 3-courses, which is a steal for what they offer.

Ribouldingue: A mostly offal menu, which might not please everyone but it is very well done, the menu is only 27€.

Les Papilles:  A wonderful neo-bistro serving a market-based menu with updated versions of French bistro cuisine.  4 course menu is 28.50, no choice, however.

Felice - If you could add addresses I can put these on the inexpensive restaurant map. - Dave

Your sister is in luck, because some of the best prix fixe values in Paris are in the 5th,  3 off the top of my head include.

Le Pre Verre: this has always been one of my favorites for the price, and offers modern French cooking with an interesting use of spices.  And the menu, the last time I was there, is only 26€ for 3-courses, which is a steal for what they offer.

Les Papilles:  A wonderful neo-bistro serving a market-based menu with updated versions of French bistro cuisine.  4 course menu is 28.50, no choice, however.

Thank you Felice,

looking at the menu for Le Pre Verre, they also have an excellently priced lunch. I will give these names to my sister.

In addition:

5th

Marty

20, av des Gobelins, 5th (Metro: Gobelins)

T: 01 43 31 39 51

Open daily

Menu 30 €, 40-55 € a la carte

Christophe

8 rue Descartes, 5th, (Metro: Mauberg Mutualite

T:01.43.26.72.49

Open lunch and dinner 7/7

Formulas at 12, 16 and 19 €, a la carte about 33 €.

L’Equitable

47 bis, rue Poliveau, 5th (Metro : St Marcel)

T : 01.43.31.69.20

Closed Mondays

Menus : 21 €, dinner 28 €.

6th

La Ferrandaise

8, rue de Vaugirard, 6th (RER: Luxembourg, Metro : St Michel)

T : 01.43.26.36.36

Closed Saturday lunch, Sunday and Monday

Menu at dinner or 3 courses at lunch = 30 €, plus wine running 14-63 €.

Josephine aka Chez Dumonet

117, rue du Cherche-Midi, 6th (Metro : Duroc)

T : 01.45.48.52.40

Closed Sundays and Mondays

Menus 25, 70, 75 €, a la carte 50-75 €.

Le Timbre

3 rue Saint Beuve, 6th (Metro : Notre Dame des Champs)

T : 01.45.49.10.40

Closed Sundays

Lunch menu 22 & 26 €.

Maison du Jardin

22 Rue de Vaugirard, 6th (Metro : Rennes, St Placide)

T: 01.45.48.22.31

Closed Saturday lunch and Sundays

Menus 22 & 27 €.

Fish la Boissonnerie

69, rue de Seine, 6th

T: 01.43.54.34.69

Closed Sunday and Monday

Lunch Menus 10.50 + 21.50 €; dinner 28.50 + 32.50 €.

L’Epigramme

9, rue de L’Eperon, 6th (Metro: Odeon)

T: 01 44 41 00 09

Closed Sunday nights and Mondays,

Menu-carte: 28 €

7th

Cinq Mars

51 rue de Verneuil, 7th (Metro : Rue du Bac)

T : 01.45.44.69.13, Metro Rue du Bac

Closed Saturday lunch and Sundays

Lunch menu 21,50 €., a la carte 35-50 €.

l’Agassin

8, rue Malar in the 7th, (Metro: Alma Marceau)

T: 01.47.05.18.18

Closed Sundays and Mondays

Lunch menu at 25 and menu carte at dinner for 34 €.

Le Telegraphe

41, rue de Lille, 7th, (Metro: Rue du Bac)

T:01.58.62.10.08

Open everyday for lunch only

Menus at 24.50 and 29.50, a la carte about 50-60 €.

La Folle Avoine

91, rue de Grenelle, 7th, (Metro: Solferino)

T: 01.45.51.02.59

Closed Sundays

Menus: one dish plus 2 drinks for 20; 2 dishes plus one drink for 25; and 3 plus a drink 30 €

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We love Ma Bourgogne but I can't remember if they offer menu. I love the ham hock in lima beans, some other salt meat with lentils--I have had them both several times. The setting under the arcade cannot be beat!

Le Paris has a 50eur lunch menu including drinks that gives access to all regular ALC items -- great value for classy food and setting, methinks -- luxury at bistrot prices.

And of course Chez l'Ami Jean always 32 eur menu carte lunch and dinner, just like La Régalade -- best bistronomiques in town, imo.

Le Paris has a 50eur lunch menu including drinks that gives access to all regular ALC items -- great value for classy food and setting, methinks -- luxury at bistrot prices.

And of course Chez l'Ami Jean always 32 eur menu carte lunch and dinner, just like La Régalade -- best bistronomiques in town, imo.

Julot, Do you have address of Le Paris? I'm already collecting possibilities for our next trip to Paris. We just booked frequent flier tickets for May 2009! Can't wait. We LOVED La Regalade and will definitely get to Chez l'Ami Jean this next time.

• 3 weeks later...
La Folle Avoine

91, rue de Grenelle, 7th, (Metro: Solferino)

T: 01.45.51.02.59

Closed Sundays

Menus: one dish plus 2 drinks for 20; 2 dishes plus one drink for 25; and 3 plus a drink 30 €

Wanted to thank you for mentioning La Folle Avoine. Had a lovely dinner there last night, starting with a sesame shrimp with gaspacho and salad, followed by grilled cuttlefish and roasted artichokes. The fraicheur de fruits (I think), that was served afterwards, included fruit salad and a green apple sorbet. But the highlight at our table was their raspberry tart, filled with raspberries and raspberry sorbet, and topped with freshly baked meringue.

It was a tremendous deal for 30 Euros, the service was friendly and the atmosphere was cozy. Currently, the drinks are not included in the prix fixe at dinner time, but they are included at lunch iirc.

Edited by phoenikia (log)