• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulls Eggs

Having seen Marco's programme last night I'm interested in buying and cooking some gulls eggs.

does anyone know where I can buy them in London or are they already out of season?

thanks

Fergal

Having seen Marco's programme last night I'm interested in buying and cooking some gulls eggs.

does anyone know where I can buy them in London or are they already out of season?

thanks

Fergal

A couple of years ago there used to be a fishmonger in Leadenhall Market, Linwoods or something like that I think they were called, that had them in season. However, with the sad conversion of what used to be a market of butchers and fishmongers into an anodyne shopping mall, courtesy of the Corporation of London, they've probably gone out of business. Any member work in EC3 and can update us?

thanks

Fergal

Allens the butchers in Mount Street very near the Connaught Hotel had them recently, or so the sign said outside the shop, I didn't notice the sign when I went past today. Are they out of season? May be worth a call.

Think I've seen em in selfridges before. maybe harrods too?

obviously silly pricing.

not convinced

end of the day its just an egg right? (this argument definitely applies to ducks eggs versus hens eggs. scramble the b*stards and you'd struggle to tell the difference) *

J

* although i would add that i've had doves eggs and they are quite different. the white is a bit weird sort of translucent and gelatinous rather than, er, white.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

thanks for your suggestions. will give Allens a ring.

Although they are 'eggs' you've got to give all things a go.

On the subject of eggs tried, I've had Penguins. Which are huge with a translucent white & bright orange yolk, even for 3 easily. though not in the same league as an Ostrich egg!

fergal

On the subject of eggs tried, I've had Penguins. Which are huge with a translucent white & bright orange yolk, even for 3 easily. though not in the same league as an Ostrich egg!

fergal

Unhappy feet....