• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover dry barbeque brisket

CDRFloppingham

I like taking ends and dry pieces of brisket and shredding them (in the style of pulled pork), mixing with bbq sauce and putting it on a bun with hot sauce and coleslaw. Something about those dry, dark smoky bits of beef (pork too) is just really tasty. You could probably do some sort of soup with it, that would be tasty. Maybe grind it with some raw beef and make burgers (the Ideas in Food folks did that with corned beef brisket).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If it were me, I'd give it a shot as hash. Couple potatoes, onions, eggs over easy, breakfast tomorrow's looking good.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

The best BBQ beans in KC are made with bits of smoked brisket cooked in with the beans. They whole thing is then cooked in the smoker. The meat gives it a wonderful boost of flavor and texture.

If you are going to make chili with it this may be a good time to use beans as well, maybe even some corn masa dumplings. You don't want the dry meat to be the focus, but a nice smoky/meaty part of a bigger picture.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

A friend of mine makes a "beef salad sandwich" in the same way you'd make tuna salad or chicken salad - mayo plus whatever seasonings you'd like to use, such as pickle relish and/or olives, etc., with or without chopped hard boiled eggs.

Just a thought.

The best BBQ beans in KC are made with bits of smoked brisket cooked in with the beans. They whole thing is then cooked in the smoker. The meat gives it a wonderful boost of flavor and texture.

Why didn't I think of that? I do beans in the smoker often but I've never thought of adding leftover BBQ meat, I always use bacon. I'll have to remember that one.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

make a pizza!!

i use wolfgang puck's dough recipe

i like to use a cheese topping of aged cheddar and smoked gouda

chop up the brisket and sprinkle on top'

salt and pepper

drizzle with olive oil that has been flavored with several crushed garlic cloves

you can make a pizza out of ANY left overs with that cheese base and the garlic oil and it will taste great.