• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

40th dinner outdoors

Tracey868

Ok need some help. Want to go somewhere with a group that has outdoor seating for my 40th. I live near Wayne to give you an idea. Would even go to Hoboken but want to be able to be outside. Also BYOB would be great too

Thanks

Tracey

Tracey, there is a new restaurant in Lincoln Park at the Airport called Sunset Pub & Grill, 425 Beaverbrook Rd, Lincoln Park (973-694-8700) which has a large outdoor seating arrangement for lunch & dinner. I do not know if they do private parties (they just opened this past weekend July 11th/12th). I was impressed with their menu. Try them yourself.

Word of advice: If you use a GPS and kick in their address you'll be taken to a grassy field. Enter the intersection of Jacksonville & Beaverbrook Rds. You can't miss it.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Tracey,

How big of a group are you talking about? Gencarelli's has a patiio with tables out back. I have only been there twice, but enjoyed the food both tiimes. If they are open Monday, I would think they would not be that busy and would be able to give you the whole patio to yourselves. It is a BYOB located on Bloomfield Ave.

Susan

I am thinking of Montclair because of BYOB factor. My bday is on Monday...

Not sure if I should just do it on another day because not much is open on Monday.

Suggestions?

T

I wish you had indicated you wanted Montclair. Had I known I would have never taken the time from my day to help you think about Sunset Pub & Grill. You originally stated you'd be willing to travel to Hoboken and I offered a venue near your residence. <sigh>

Nutley Resident

Proud to be American

Had I known I would have never taken the time from my day to help you think about Sunset Pub & Grill. You originally stated you'd be willing to travel to Hoboken and I offered a venue near your residence. <sigh>

Did, you really have to write this? Tracey is looking for a place for her birthday dinner and you have to give her crap for not choosing your favorite new place. Remarkable.

Tracey, you come on down to Hoboken and wherever you decide to go, I'd love to buy you and yours a birthday drink.

Lua has 1/2 price off on wines by the bottle on Monday. City Bistro has a outdoor bar for you to have a cocktail before. Enjoy your birthday and good luck deciding on where to dine. Nutley used to have good restaurants with outdoor seating but the locals scared them off.

Had I known I would have never taken the time from my day to help you think about Sunset Pub & Grill. You originally stated you'd be willing to travel to Hoboken and I offered a venue near your residence. <sigh>

Did, you really have to write this? Tracey is looking for a place for her birthday dinner and you have to give her crap for not choosing your favorite new place. Remarkable.

Tracey, you come on down to Hoboken and wherever you decide to go, I'd love to buy you and yours a birthday drink.

Lua has 1/2 price off on wines by the bottle on Monday. City Bistro has a outdoor bar for you to have a cocktail before. Enjoy your birthday and good luck deciding on where to dine. Nutley used to have good restaurants with outdoor seating but the locals scared them off.

I don't want to start an argument, but it was inconsiderate to ask for basically anywhere within the radius of Wayne to Hoboken. I thought it as a convenient place so I suggested it, favorite or not. Then in a reply I'm directly told, no, I want a place in Montclair. Well, if ya wanted a place in a specific town, ask. If you ask for Montclair I probably wouldn't have posted because I don't KNOW of any outdoor venues in that Community. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but I felt I need to make that point. Please don't make this into a battle and "pick sides" ... it happened, it's done. Tracey is an adult and as you stated can go anywhere she pleases (you didn't have to add salt to a wound).

Nutley Resident

Proud to be American

I don't want to start an argument, but it was inconsiderate to ask for basically anywhere within the radius of Wayne to Hoboken. I thought it as a convenient place so I suggested it, favorite or not. Then in a reply I'm directly told, no, I want a place in Montclair. Well, if ya wanted a place in a specific town, ask. If you ask for Montclair I probably wouldn't have posted because I don't KNOW of any outdoor venues in that Community. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but I felt I need to make that point. Please don't make this into a battle and "pick sides" ... it happened, it's done. Tracey is an adult and as you stated can go anywhere she pleases (you didn't have to add salt to a wound).

Nor do I wish to start an argument but you were the person who wished to respond to Tracey's request for a restaurant with outdoor seating from Wayne to Hoboken. Montclair is in between Wayne and Hoboken and she was looking for advice for Montclair after amending her post. What's the big deal? I'm not picking on you but thought that your post was bit heavy-handed for such a simple request.

Besides, we could be arguing about so many more important topics on the NJ Forum such as hot dogs and whether The Ryland Inn opens again,

What happened to people discussing Real dining experiences like the NY forum?

Sad really sad.

Exactly how much time did it take out of your day to make your suggestion? As long as it's taken you to reprimand Tracey twice? Geez. Big deal.

Meanwhile...Although it does have a liquor license, not BYO as you'd like, Highlawn Pavilion has a large outdoor seating area with great Manhattan views. I've never eaten there (unless you count oysters at the bar), but you can't beat the atmosphere.

I so wish I never asked this question. Please erase this message from the board.

I guess I should have done my research and kept my Texing shut.

The reason I gave a range of area was I wanted people just to shoot out anything. Meaning I am willing to drive. I did not think I was being inconsiderate at all. Guess people just take rejection badly.

Then after reading some messages it sounded like Montclair has so many BYOB rest. that that area may be where I want. Thinking of a group and all the booze we may drink. BYOB would keep it cost effective as I just found out I need to pay high $$ for a seat license at the new giants stadium for seats..LOL!

However I learned this is a place not to post messages for suggestions and just figure it out on my own.

CHEERS ALL especially those with kind words to say!

ENJOY, RELAX and LIVE WELL!

A very picky and jaded friend went to Matisse on Monday night and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, gave it a 10, ate outside in a lovely garden setting, loved the food and loved the nice little bargain they give on certain nights:

http://www.cafematisse.com/

Check out this page for the deal:

http://www.cafematisse.com/dinner.html

The 3-course grazer was perfect for each of them. They just L O V E D it and I say you should go there. It's a perfect place for a special occasion.

It's a BYOB, too!!

Report back!

Marge

(I was there once and loved it. )

P.S. Big mistake to never come back here for ideas. Just because of one testy person? Forget the one and concentrate on all the friendly and APPROPRIATE responses you got.

Edited by marge201 (log)

Hello, Tracey. Happy birthday for your 11th anniversary of turning 29. That sounds so much nicer than "40" :smile:

The website baristanet has a map of many Montclair restaurants with outdoor seating. It's a pretty good range, from Ruthie's patio with smoker, all the way on up. You might also check if Culinariane has opened its outdoor patio yet.

BaristaVille al fresco

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

A very picky and jaded friend went to Matisse on Monday night and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, gave it a 10, ate outside in a lovely garden setting, loved the food and loved the nice little bargain they give on certain nights:

http://www.cafematisse.com/

Check out this page for the deal:

http://www.cafematisse.com/dinner.html

The 3-course grazer was perfect for each of them. They just L O V E D it and I say you should go there. It's a perfect place for a special occasion.

It's a BYOB, too!!

YES, MATISSE, IF IT'S NOT TOO LATE FOR YOU (THE SUGGESTION, I MEAN).

They have a spectacularly beautiful outdoor garden in back with greenery and statuary and it's a wonderful setting. And I have to say that the few times I've been there, they have pulled off their incredibly ambitious menu just about flawlessly (once my foie gras was overcooked a bit, but that's the only flaw I've ever found there) - and it is indeed BYO.

It has the added attraction of having a setting that makes it feel like a "special occasion" place, while in fact, it is completely casual in attitude and dress. You'll discover this if and when you call them. The first time, I called to ask what the dress was like, and the owner's answer was "come dressed in ANYTHING that you're comfortable in!" - and that's the prevailing spirit of the place.

If you asked for BYO because you're a collector, their very ambitious menu gives you the chance to showcase your collection - I've gone with six different wines and they've kept them chilled or not and served them as I instructed them with the proper courses and in the appropriate glassware.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's