• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books related to New York City

johung

Hi all,

I am at the moment trying to assemble a list of cookbooks related to New York (City). The only criteria is one of:

1. The author lives in New York City (or the wider Tri-state area)

2. It is by someone who cooks for/owns a very renowned or landmark restaurant within New York City; or

3. The book is about cuisines native to New York City. (Yeah, it is a hard issue because I'm not sure if you can say there is a native New York cuisine that is not "ethnic" in some sense, as you can confidently say of Neil Perry or Matt Moran being cooks specializing on "non-ethnic cuisine" in Australia)

At the moment, I can think of good authors from this list and I still have to fill up my library are:

1. Alfred Portale

2. Lidia Bastianich

3. Daniel Boulud

4. Eric Ripert

5. Jean Georges Vongerichten

6. David Waltuck

7. Danny Meyer (Union Square Cafe)

8. David Burke

I already have some books by Mario Batali and James Peterson. Anyone can think of anything else that looks good?

Thanks,

Joel

PS: I have also come across really awful books of NYC-based restaurant/cook/author. Patsy's cookbook is one example. Often you start regretting it after buying it.

Thanks for the help so far. The Bourdain Halles Cookbook is a big and pleasant surprise because I thought he had only written works food commentaries and treatises on kitchen office politics.

Any else would recommend more works?

• 2 weeks later...