• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Occupancy costs

chromedome

For forward planning...where can I find a source of good statistics (ideally, for free) for industry averages? I'd like to see some ranges based on type of restaurant and type of venue (ie strip mall, industrial park, standalone).

Poking about online, I've found that 6-8% of gross revenues is what's most commonly mentioned. In the case of a restaurant located within another establishment - ie, a theme park or hotel - this can go into the range of 8-15% of gross, based on the assumption that the other establishment provides a consistent stream of backsides in seats.

Feedback, anyone? Specific examples from personal experience may be offered up by PM, rather than aired out here in public.

Thanks,

-'Dome

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've noticed people over the years are reluctant to talk literal money, especially because many people use their real names here. Perhaps its time to designate a particular forum host, a trustworthy one, where we could pm to them and they then reply to the post verbatim, leaving one's name off, essentially rendering the answer anonymous.

Just a thought, as I've been curious about salaries too.

When I was at the CIA - the library had all kinds of stuff like what you are hitting on - and your number sound about right - some of the things I saw in them parks or whatever - the BIG Chefs were not paying much if anything - just so the name was in the hotel. That was like a 5 year thing and then a % like what you were going at sales. I can't remember which Celeb chef in vegas 0 but they paid for the kitchen etc and have a contract for 10 yrs and after 5 will talk about money --- so whatever that means