• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Related Tattoos - Show Your Ink

SKinCA

Today's New York Times Magazine has a pictorial on chefs with food-related tattoos.

Go here

and click onto Chef d'Ouevres to check 'em out.

Anyone out there got a tatt tied to cooking that they are willing to share?

I'm fascinated by this because I've always wanted a tattoo but it never occurred to me to do a food-related one. Possibilities beckon...

Stephanie Kay

I'm planning on getting a nice B&W of a vanilla orchid. It'll look like one of those old biological drawings with the plant name in latin underneath it. I'm really just trying to figure out where to put it.

I really love the forearm tattoo of the chefs' knives - it's got me thinking about something for what would be my third tattoo... :)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Today's New York Times Magazine has a pictorial on chefs with food-related tattoos.

Go here

and click onto Chef d'Ouevres to check 'em out.

Anyone out there got a tatt tied to cooking that they are willing to share?

I'm fascinated by this because I've always wanted a tattoo but it never occurred to me to do a food-related one. Possibilities beckon...

I have the "flames" symbol (from a Flammable sign) on the inside of my left wrist, from all the grill work and bbq that I've done over the years.

I have a couple of tattoo designs in the works, but I don't want to give those up until I've actually got them. :)

I have been dying to get a "Bender" from Futurama on the 30% Iron Chef episode...with him in his chefs whites...but I cant find a good image...thought about getting an "Elzar", but its too much like Emeril....also maybe a "Sarok the Preparer" from the Simpsons Halloween specials to go with the Homer I already have....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

How about one of those cute little monkfish  :blink:

A friend of mine who studied Atlantic larval fish development has a monkfish larva on her shoulder - & it is pretty damn cool.

I have a modern interpretation of a pacific NW salmon totem image on mine - a reminder of connections to many fish slain.

How about one of those cute little monkfish  :blink:

A friend of mine who studied Atlantic larval fish development has a monkfish larva on her shoulder - & it is pretty damn cool.

I have a modern interpretation of a pacific NW salmon totem image on mine - a reminder of connections to many fish slain.

And here's a link to images of a monkfish larva:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=30&h...monkfish+larvae

Much cuter than its pappy, dontcha think?

Stephanie Kay

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There's a really great hot dog vendor in my town who has Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein illustrations all over his bod. If you're really nice (OK, if you just show even minor interest), he'll show you the "Green Eggs and Ham" picture on his arm.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

tn_gallery_13128_2042_373170.jpgtn_gallery_13128_2042_105318.jpgtn_gallery_13128_2042_436663.jpgtn_gallery_13128_2042_388015.jpgtn_gallery_13128_2042_187106.jpgtn_gallery_13128_2042_254846.jpg

Not sure how I missed this topic in the past, but here a few of my food tattoos. The writer of this article actually contacted me a year or so ago, asking about my tattoos, but I never heard back from him.

The images are all food and cooking related. My tools ( knives, pans, etc..) are featured as well as herbs, peppers, wheat fields, cows, honeybees, and some wine related stuff. Each arm also has a mini "food chain" scene one aquatic and one field and forest, with me at the top of the food chain!

The underside of each arm is in color ( to keep it out of the sun, and thus fading ) one side is a koi fish biend sliced into suhi rolls.

The ink was done by Ben Wahhh and Harlan Thompson of Deluxe Tattoo in Chicago, about 50 hours total.

TC

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...